TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Unhappy Parents have no confidence in me. - February 11th 2011, 08:36 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So like the title of this thread says, my parents have no confidence in me. I went for a job interview today and they said that I won't get it. I told them that I got into 2 Uni's and they didn't say anything. They said that when I go for my Provisional License that I'm going to fail. They think I'm going to fail at everything in life. I heard a conversation they were having about me and my Dad said something and my Mum said that at least I was trying. I want to prove to them that I'm not going to work at McDonalds for the rest of my life or I'm going to be a drop-kick like a few people I know. But I'm sick of pleasing them. I'm sick of pleasing everyone because no-one notices. When Marge says in that Pretzal episode of The Simpson's "Aim so low kids. Aim so low that no-one cares when you succeed", is exactly how I feel. I've pretty much have had enough of trying.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Parents have no confidence in me. - February 12th 2011, 08:31 AM

Don't ever, I mean don't EVER let someone talk down to you like that.
I understand that your parents, but your parents should always be supportive of you, and they should always encourage you to succeed.
Of course, it is a good thing that you are trying, and sometimes, that's all it takes. You might not hit the perfect interview, or you might even find a job you dislike, but it's something that you can throw into your parents faces.
You should probably sit them both down and tell them that by the hurtful words they say, your becoming more and more discouraged and that you need to be told postive things to help you through whatever situation your going through at that time in your life.
Your parents are basically verbally abusing you, and that's still a form of abuse. You can always talk to another trusted adult about it. They might be able to give you the support and encouragement your needing.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: Parents have no confidence in me. - February 12th 2011, 11:05 AM

Hi,
As Shnnon ashley said, don't let anyone put you down like that, if they do they are not worth it! They are your parents and should be supporting you no matter what, maybe you could talk to another family member you trust?
Keeping going and aim high, it's brilliant you are trying,and you go out there are live how you want. I belive in you.
Good luck and take care

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

Closed Thread