TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Starry_eyed Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Worried about my friend - February 12th 2011, 07:13 PM

I'm new and I could use some help please I'm worried about my friend she's having a hard time at the moment and to top it all off she's having bother with someone who is spreading lies about my friend and twisting stories up to make it sound like my friend and it's upsetting her pretty bad she's thinking of taking her own life because of it but she's also having trouble with her family too I'm really worried she'll do something.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Worried about my friend - February 12th 2011, 07:49 PM

Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp! =)

Whenever you suspect a friend is going to hurt themselves or someone else, the first thing you need to do is tell a trusted adult. Since she's having trouble at home, I would suggest telling a teacher or school counselor, and tell them your friend is contemplating suicide. If your friend doesn't want to see someone by herself, you could offer to accompany her.

If your friend is being physically/verbally abused at home, or is being neglected in some way, then Child Protective Services can get involved and monitor her home environment. If her parents aren't looking out for her best interests, your friend could be removed from her unhealthy home environment and placed in foster care. If she has other relatives nearby, she could live with one of them instead. If you can work out an agreement with CPS, your friend might be able to live with you instead.

Unfortunately, people spread rumors in middle and high school, and there isn't much your friend can do about that (unless you have concrete proof that this person is telling lies and hurting your friend's reputation). The best thing you can do is offer support for your friend, and reassure her that her true friends won't believe any of these lies. The people who DO believe them aren't worth knowing, and your friend need not stress out over what those people think about her.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Rose Bunny Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rose

Re: Worried about my friend - February 12th 2011, 08:16 PM

Make it clear to your friend that you care about her! Tell her how important she is to you! Make sure she knows that you don't believe the rumors. Get all of her friends to tell her they support her no matter what other people say.

Does this person have some sort of long term goal? A dream? Get her to focus on that. Convince her that she has something to fight for, something to live for!

And if you think there is a real danger of her hurting herself, covince her to get professional help.

Closed Thread