TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
oceaneyes95 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lillian (Lilli)

Just Got My License! - February 25th 2011, 03:47 AM

So I just got my license Tuesday I passed the test the first time! But the big issue is my 10 year old second cousin wants me and my 14 year old second cousin to all ride around in my car at once. Don't get me wrong I LOVE hanging out with both of them they're great friends as well as relatives, but the issue is the law in Illinois is that a 16 year old CAN'T drive with more than one person in the car. I would explain this to my 10 year old second cousin but I don't think her mom would understand because her mom is the "I'm the adult,and you're the kid. You shut up, and listen. What I say goes. I don't care if it's against the law. I call the shots" type person. I think that her mom (my first cousin) might just think us girls (me and my 14 year old second cousin) are just trying to make things up so we can leave my 10 year old second cousin out. What should I do, just have my mom explain the law to them so that us girls don't get yelled at? I mean when her mom goes off she goes OFF big time she has a tempur, and can actually be very verbally and physically abuseive.

[Edited]

Last edited by PSY; February 25th 2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Merged duplicate threads; edited for unnecessary rudeness.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Just Got My License! - February 25th 2011, 04:38 AM

I would simply quote the law, then leave it alone. It's YOUR license and YOUR neck on the line... so stand firm and don't give in.

There MIGHT be a loophole in the law, however. At least, there's one in California. For example, if you have to drive a younger sibling to school, because the parent cannot, you can get a written note from the parent and it's A-OK. Might want to check the law in your state, though, and see if it extends to cousins.

Last edited by PSY; February 25th 2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Misread a portion of the original post.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jaden89 Offline
Taste The Rainbow...
Average Joe

Name: Malissa

Re: OMG I WANT AN ACTUAL RESPONSE TO THIS! READ IT RIGHT! - February 25th 2011, 05:08 AM

Hello there,

I'm sorry you are frustrated and I hope I can help you out here. I think you need to sit down and talk to your cousin, possibly with your mom and let them know that the law states that you can only have one person in the car. Show them the facts if you have to and explain to them that if you get pulled over you could get in big trouble and do not want to lose your license. Maybe even compromise with them by saying that you will take your 10 year old cousin out with you to drive sometimes to but not both cousins at once. If they don't understand then, then perhaps have them get in touch with the local police department and have them tell them.

Live Help Operator/Help Link Operator - Please feel free to pm me if you need anything.

Moderator for the Pregnancy and Childcare forum.

"Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jaden89  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: OMG I WANT AN ACTUAL RESPONSE TO THIS! READ IT RIGHT! - February 25th 2011, 05:58 AM

Actually that excludes family members. It's legal.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: OMG I WANT AN ACTUAL RESPONSE TO THIS! READ IT RIGHT! - February 25th 2011, 06:49 AM

Dig around your drivers hand book to find the rule, have your mother show the other mother the rule. If the mother throws a fit, then have you mother explain that you are HER daughter and what YOUR mom says goes. If the other mother doesn't like it, then tough her daughter can ride the friggin bus

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: yo

Re: Just Got My License! - February 25th 2011, 09:21 AM

The law is law! No dancing around that.

Just be straight up with her. If she doesn't understand, well, that's her own fault. She can't make you do something illegal, cause I'm pretty sure that's illegal too!

Follow on Twitter @Thomas_TGT

TUMBLR: http://thomasdlesnick.tumblr.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/thomas.lesnick

I play in a new band called "The Gentlemen Thieves"
www.thegentlementhieves.com

YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/drumminggod91

"Let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic, and we will change the world." - Jack Layton

Closed Thread