TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Technical Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

February 26th 2011, 06:27 PM

Alright so I don't need to go into details, regardless, I'm pretty sure I'm about to be thrown out of the house within the next week or two. My question is, are there any protection family laws that are involved in this? I turned 18 a while ago, I've heard as soon as you turn 18 legally you can just be kicked out.

However, are there any laws, like weeks notice etc?

Also once kicked out, are there any places that would temporarily take me in? Or am I pretty much just a street kid?

The problem is I'm still in my university year, so finding a job over the next little while is tough. I'm really swamped with school work, also I've already applied for a construction job which starts in late April. Until then I'm really without a job, but I still need to finish my university year for obvious reasons.

by the way, I should add that I'm in Canada.

Last edited by PSY; February 26th 2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Thrown out? - February 26th 2011, 08:27 PM

Hey there! I'm not an attorney, and I don't live in Canada, so I can't offer specifics on what you could do. I would suggest contacting Child Protective Services, however, and finding out what your options are in that regard. They may not be able to help you, but they could refer you to organizations, government agencies, and/or charities that assist 18-year-olds who face eviction from their homes.

I would also get in touch with a financial advisor from your university, and ask about student loans. I know it's not ideal to go into debt right off the bat, but you CAN use that money for housing, food, etc. Since you're unemployed, you might also qualify for grants.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Thrown out? - March 2nd 2011, 10:15 PM

Hey, I'm sorry that you are being kicked out of your house. That doesn't sound fair at all. Unfortunately, you being 18, the lines are blurred. Some places will consider you a minor, and take you in, where as some places won't even bother. There might be some laws regarding your situation. However, I'm not a Canadian citizen, let alone know all the laws of it. It would be in your interest to check around places, and get to know the laws regarding it.

There might be shelters for males around your area. They take pretty much anyone. Although, I think the length of time you stay can vary from place to place. Is there a friend that you can stay with temporarily, or a relative?

You being in college, maybe qualify for financial aid. I think you should consider applying for that. I can't say how much money you would get, if any at all, but it can't hurt to apply. Robin is right, you can take out student loans. They may be sympathetic to your situation, and you might be able to do that. Basically it comes down to survival, and sure, debt will suck. But it seems as though going in debt for this would be worth it.

I hope everything gets sorted out for you!
-Lyndsee

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread