TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jayme

Question what do you think?? - March 3rd 2011, 11:36 PM

so this guy i know wants me to help him with his problems. He says he isnt confident in his appearance and has intamacy issues. I really think he is cute (im not attracted to him romantically tho). I keep telling him he looks good but he wont believe me. He wants me to take his picture and show it to all my girl friends and get their opinion on how he looks im thinking thats kinda a wierd idea to say the least... but anyways what should i say to help him? im not very good at this, i need help

"One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering." -Ida Scott Taylor

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: what do you think?? - March 4th 2011, 07:27 AM

Jayme,

I think that you should show him that you think he is good looking, rather then just saying that he is cute. Actions speak louder then words. I would probably advise against showing his pictures to your friends for multiple reason. It can come across as desperate on his part, and it wouldn't even matter about his looks from that point on. Also, he should be boosting his own confidence, because that's where it counts the most. If you show his picture to girls, then it's going to come across as he not being confident, and confidence is attractive.

At this age, it's normal for people to have low self esteems. I would just keep encouraging him to get out there and talk to girls. Keep encouraging him that he looks good without overdoing it. However, if you do want to show the picture around, then by all means. Have at it. I just think that he could be learning a lesson in gaining confidence if he did these sorts of things himself. :]

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: what do you think?? - March 4th 2011, 04:07 PM

Heyy.

A lot of people have confidence issues at a young age, so this is usual. However, do keep reasuring him that he looks good (even though looking good isn't what matters most of the time) and that he should believe this and tell himself that too. I know just how hard it is to believe people when they say that you look good, and it is hard, but it does not mean that he can't convince himself that he isn't bad looking.

Often a good way to gain self esteem and confidence (I learnt this from a youtube video..) is to look in the mirror every day, and admire the things you personally like about yourself. While doing this, accept the things you are less happy with as only one part in amongst a lot of better ones. Tell him to try this, it might help him to see why you think he is cute.

I hope this helped a bit.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread