TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xAnalise Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question My dad? - March 7th 2011, 02:52 AM

So my parents recently got separated, and ever since then I don't like seeing my dad at all. Just seeing him makes me mad, I don't enjoy talking about him. To say the least I pretty much hate him all around (I know it's a little over dramatic but it's true.)
The divorce hasn't been finalized yet and neither has the custody situation. I want my mom to take full custody with a one day of the week that I get to see my dad and possibly holidays. But on the other hand I don't want her to because I don't want to hurt my dad, because i know he's been taking antidepressants and gets very emotional (over VERY tiny things.)
I don't know what to do.
Any suggestions?

Thank you
-Analise.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: My dad? - March 7th 2011, 03:43 AM

Analise,

Divorce situations are tough. Ultimately, you have to do things that are best for you. If you think that staying with your mom would be better for you, then that's what you should do. Don't feel bad about hurting your dads feelings, because if we all did things according to others feelings, where would we be? Sometimes you have to do things for yourself. You said that you don't care for your dad, so maybe it's best that you do live with your mom. I think that keeping a connection with your dad is good. One day a week visitation rights seem perfect for me. A child needs both their parents in some way, so I think it would be good if you stayed a little connected with your dad. That way, in the future, you can form a bond/relationship with him. I don't know how the courts are, but make sure they know how you want the custody to be. Even if they don't listen, it never hurts to get your opinion in there. After all, you're the one it's going to affect the most, yeah?

I hop this helped,
-Lyndsee

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
xAnalise Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My dad? - March 7th 2011, 03:47 AM

Thank you Lyndsee.
I know I should put my feelings first but i have a hard time doing that. I'm working the situation out with my mom little by little.
Thank you again for the advice(:
-Analise

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way - Jessica Rabbit

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Xineas Offline
You can call me Daniel
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Re: My dad? - March 7th 2011, 09:14 PM

As a younger child, I was in the middle of my parents divorce. I've seen them fight, I've seen them break up and it's hard to focus on yourself, when everything around you is being ripped apart.

It's been 12 years now, but I still go to my dad every other weekend. The only way I got through it was by thinking about myself and my siblings rather than my parents. It's their mess and their job to work it out, as cold as that sounds.

Feel free to PM if you want to talk

Stupid questions do not exist!
Or do they? Nah. Ask and you shall be answered!

Since March 16, 2011

My parents have been divorced for 12 years. If you're stuck in the middle, feel free to PM me!
Social Group for people with Divorced Parents

(#5 (permalink)) Old
xAnalise Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My dad? - March 7th 2011, 10:42 PM

Thanks Xineas. Both of you are right. I probably should focus on myself. Even my mom says not to both with it. But it's hard not to :/ Thank you for the advice.
-Analise

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way - Jessica Rabbit

Closed Thread