TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ZombieLover Offline
Half smile teen.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jamie

Unhappy How do you deal with a bipolar parent? - March 4th 2009, 12:00 AM

My Father is Bipolar, and it really scares me. I dont know how to handel it, one mintue he'll be yelling at me and then another he'll hug me and ask me if I want some icecream, then he'll start yelling at me agian.

I'm not really sure if this goes with this Fourm, but it has to deal with family. So yeah...)
  Send a message via AIM to ZombieLover  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
LillyImp Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lilly

Re: How do you deal with a bipolar parent? - March 4th 2009, 12:19 AM

Has he gotten or looked into getting any help? Being in the kind of envierment is never health. Is there anyone you can talk to about it? Or somplace else you can stay?

Feel free to pm me.

Last edited by LillyImp; March 4th 2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: typo

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: How do you deal with a bipolar parent? - March 4th 2009, 09:56 PM

Hi Jamie,

Has your dad gone to the doctor or seen a therapist about this kind of behavior? They will be able to give a proper diagnosis and put him on medication if they think it is necessary. It might be a good idea for him to see someone about his condition and talk to a professional.

What I would suggest is to suggest to him to go to see someone about this. It would be a good idea to bring this up when he's feeling calmer. Other than that, it would be best if you were patient with him. He can't control his mood swings, and I'm sure he doesn't want to make you feel badly about this.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ZombieLover Offline
Half smile teen.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jamie

Re: How do you deal with a bipolar parent? - March 8th 2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Hi Jamie,

Has your dad gone to the doctor or seen a therapist about this kind of behavior? They will be able to give a proper diagnosis and put him on medication if they think it is necessary. It might be a good idea for him to see someone about his condition and talk to a professional.

What I would suggest is to suggest to him to go to see someone about this. It would be a good idea to bring this up when he's feeling calmer. Other than that, it would be best if you were patient with him. He can't control his mood swings, and I'm sure he doesn't want to make you feel badly about this.

Nat.

my dad refuses to go see a doctor because he thinks he is fine, and so does my mother.

My Life Is like Twister, but I'm the only one playing...
  Send a message via AIM to ZombieLover  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: How do you deal with a bipolar parent? - March 8th 2009, 04:53 PM

Then I would really suggest that you go to the doctor and ask what you should do about how your dad is acting. They may have some better suggestions. He may not be bipolar at all and may just be experiencing mood swings. Either way, you could always ask for advice from a professional.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: How do you deal with a bipolar parent? - March 8th 2009, 05:40 PM

Hi,

I agree with Nat, you should go see the doctor even if your dad refuses to go. They may be able to give you some advice on how to deal with it. You shouldnt have to deal with being yelled at all the time, even if he does have a mental illness. If you can't do that though, is there a nice teacher at school you can talk to? Or school councellor?. It might help if you have somebody to talk to about it yourself at the very least. On the other hand though, you do need to try and be patient. Try to understand that it isn't his fault how he is, he probably doesnt mean it a lot of the time. Although, i do realise it is probably still hurtfull to you. Maybe when he is angry you could go out or leave the house? You could also talk to him when he is feeling happier about how you hate it when he yells at you.

Jen
x

PM // VM

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How do you deal with a bipolar parent? - March 10th 2009, 12:06 AM

its life ...we 're all kind of bipolar and have mood swings..part of being human...especially because hes older ...he has a lot to think about im sure

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Re: How do you deal with a bipolar parent? - March 10th 2009, 01:16 PM

Hi Jamie

Coping with a parent with Bipolar disorder is difficult, especially when they refuse treatment. The best thing you can do right now is stay out of his way...do not pick fights or argue without a reasonable cause, and try to keep yourself calm. Often times, rational behavior can spread--if you stay calm, it might help him to calm down as well.

If you have an adult in your life that you can speak to about this--a grandparent or uncle, for example--please do. It will help you to cope as well as possibly help your father.

Good luck. =]

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
wilsos Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sophie

Re: How do you deal with a bipolar parent? - March 21st 2009, 08:37 PM

Hi I have a bipolar dad and I find it really find when he changes his moods all the time. Does your dad blame you for everything. I think my broter is bipolar as well. Try and be postive I know its really hrad but its the only way to forget about the bad things that are happening.
  Send a message via MSN to wilsos  
Closed Thread