TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MissKay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kay

Question Alcoholic Parents.... :( - March 29th 2011, 08:52 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm 15 and two years ago my parents almost lost our house. We were doing really well and I lost everything, they started drinking every night. I'm so against alchol but they dont know how aggressive they get. My mom drinks and drives with children in the car I worry about my sister and the others but no matter how hard I try my mother and father wont get help. I got sick a few months ago and I have to do school online and never leave my house. I cry every night. My parents hate my loving boyfriend of 1 year and a half, only because he is black and I want to leave, but I'm only 15 I don't know where to go or what to do. They constantly make me feel worthless and like im not good enough. I used to drive for My mom and take the kids to friends houses or pick them up when I was 14 and my mom was drunk but I can't do it anymore cause I almost got in a wreck, but I was only 14. Now my boyfriend wants me to call cps or tell someone but I don't to hurt my parents. Help please....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Alcoholic Parents.... :( - March 29th 2011, 08:44 PM

Kay,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. You don't deserve this. I encourage you to call CPS. I know you're faced with conflict because you don't want to hurt your parent. That's understandable and that's fine, but you're hurting because of their actions. And if I were to be completely honest with you, the things that your parents do are abuse and neglect. Which is against the law. You know it's abuse because you labeled your post as such. So you know what they're doing is wrong. Let me explain something to you. You're parents are alcoholics, so their main focus is their next fix. Their only concern is the alcohol, when they should be concerned with you and your siblings. They are so stuck up in themselves and the addiction, that they are failing to see life going on around them. Of course this doesn't justify their behavior. But you said they won't get help. If they won't get help, then you must. For you, and your siblings.

Is there any relatives that you can stay with? I really think you need to call CPS or tell someone about this. Sure, it isn't going to be easy, but it's necessary for survival. I mean, your parents drink and drive with kids in the car. That is so dangerous. In getting help, you need to do it for you and your siblings. Don't let your parents feelings be a factor in whether or not you tell. It's YOUR feelings that matter here. If you decide to tell someone, and I hope that you do, you need to be completely honest with them. Tell them what's going on. I'm not going to tell you exactly what will happen, because I don't know. But it's likely you will be removed from the situation at least temporarily. The courts will probably issue a court order for rehab and your parents won't be able to get you back until they complete it. That said, I am really not positive on what will happen. It all just depends on all factors of the situation and where you are located.

Don't let this determine your worth. You are not worthless. You deserve to live in a healthy, safe, supportive enviornment. Their actions should be no reflection on your worth. You seem like a very nice girl with goals and dreams. Live up to that. Rise above your parents and be more then they ever were. You can. Learn from their mistakes. It must be really hard to deal with. But I really, really, hope you contact someone about this. You shouldn't have to continue your life like this. It's unfair.

Take care, and be safe.

Last edited by SparklingWine; March 30th 2011 at 06:10 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Alcoholic Parents.... :( - March 30th 2011, 06:07 AM

I completely agree with Lynds' advice to contact CPS. It may not seem like it right now, but it honestly will be in EVERYONE'S best interests to get a third party involved. Yes, your parents may need to undergo some mandatory counseling, rehabilitation, etc., which is going to make them feel like "bad" parents... but in the long run, it's going to be better for them. Better to be contacted by CPS and undergo treatment, than to keep driving drunk and possibly get themselves (or one of your siblings) killed in a car accident. THAT would be far worse than anything that would result from calling CPS.

Closed Thread