TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Cleaning my room. - March 30th 2011, 12:13 AM

My parents bitch at my for my room being messy all the time. It's really not that messy though, my mom is just an anal neat freak. What they don't understand is that every time I try to clean my room, I end up forgetting where I put half of my stuff, and it just pisses me off.

So it's pretty much a lose-lose situation. Either my mother bitches at me all the time, or I can't find half of my shit.

Any advice?

Last edited by SparklingWine; March 30th 2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Adding prefix :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Cleaning my room. - March 30th 2011, 12:43 AM

Hmmm. You are in a tough position. Maybe you can clean your room by organization? You can stick labels on drawer/boxes/etc, that way things are easier to find. As weird as this sounds, you can also make a map of your room when you clean it. This way you can refer to the map when you lose something.

As for your mom. Explain to her that you are 19 and you clean your room the way you want it to be cleaned. Explain to her why you clean your room the way that you do. I mean, you're 19, don't let it phase you too much. I'm sorry she yells though. d:

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Cleaning my room. - March 30th 2011, 01:25 AM

If I were to say something like that to her, she'd kick me out. I also wouldn't be allowed to put sticky labels on stuff. She's ridiculous. According to her, it's not even my room, because it's in HER house.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Cleaning my room. - March 30th 2011, 03:15 AM

Cleaning your room isn't that big of a responsibility. I don't blame your mother. I wouldn't want to live in a filthy house. Keep your room organized as Lynds said. Your mother has the right to bug you about your room. It is her house, so it is her rules. Even though you can't use labels, take mental notes of things. Try to keep important stuff together, and non important stuff together. Don't mix and match anything. Don't just shove everything. Get a notebook, and write down where you store all of your belongings. You should take pride in your bedroom. If your mother tells you to clean it up, then clean it. I know you feel like she's controlling you, but she only wants you to learn responsibility, and also to learn how to keep a clean house. Someday you might have a place of your own, and I'm sure you wouldn't want it messy.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Cleaning my room. - March 30th 2011, 06:43 AM

I do agree with your mother, her house, her rules despite the fact you're 19. If lots of it is papers, then buy plastic envelopes (coloured or non-coloured) and put them somewhere on a shelf. They can hold a lot of paper but if you have lots of stuff for one subject, get multiple ones of the same colour or print out a paper and put it in the front saying the contents. I prefer them over binders because binders can be quite bulky, take up lots of valuable space, be heavy or worst of all, your drop it and the rings break. With the polyvinyl envelopes, they're flexible so you can drop them and they won't break. The only risk is the string tie may break but if so, an elastic works just as well.

For any work or papers that you need to bring somewhere in the next few days, get a small accordian folder and just put it in there.

If there are many books scattered around, buy foldable storage boxes and put them in there then mark on the box what's in there. Put the box in your room or somewhere else where you'll remember where they are. If your closet has enough room, put it in there.

If you have a lot of important junk on your desk, then assuming you don't already have one, get a small shelf with wheels that fits under the desk so you can put lots of stuff in there. You can get a second one if need be and if it's somewhat transparent, put a piece of paper inside right at the front saying the contents. Your mother cant get angry for putting papers into a shelf if she's reasonable and she sounds reasonable.

For clothes, I just toss used dirty clothes into the corner of my room and every week, I just go and grab the stuff to wash.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Cleaning my room. - March 30th 2011, 12:12 PM

First of all, my room isn't filthy. Everyone who's seen my room has said "....your mom thinks this is messy?" Thanks for making rude assumptions though.

Secondly, nothing can fit under my desk, the only place clothes are allowed to be is in the laundry room, or in my closet/dresser. The problem is the fact that I don't have ROOM to put everything. And don't tell me to throw shit out, because I have, at least three times. It doesn't help.

Not to mention, I could clean my room until I think it's perfect. She's still going to find something to complain about. Which in turn makes me feel like shit and that there's no point in even trying, because it's not going to be good enough for her anyway.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Cleaning my room. - March 30th 2011, 12:23 PM

I've had a similar, though not as difficult issue with my family. I clean my room once a week, and keep the door shut so my mum can't see the mess. Of course, I'm not living at home now, and I sense that your mother may not be open to such things.
Is there any space in your room for you to put extra storage like another dresser or some extra shelves? I understand about the lack of space, heck I moved out and there's still no space for my stuff in my room at home.
Is there other storage space in the house? If you have things in your room that you don't use all the time then perhaps you could put them away until you need them.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Cleaning my room. - March 30th 2011, 12:57 PM

I have a very similar problem. I had little room to put anything as I had too much stuff. What I done it throw loads of old/broken stuff I didn't need anymore and give other things to charity shops (like old clothes which weren't full of holes)

I literally have a box, two USB leads and an SD card in one of my desk draws now.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
Closed Thread