TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Boxmansmyidol Offline
Crazyyy teen
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaitie

Mother and piercings and tattoos - March 4th 2009, 07:32 PM

So im only 16, yeah young i know. But im in 11th grade and i have always acted more mature then my age. I have been handling a lot in my life and im very mature, usually. All i want is my lip pierced and to be allowed to get tattoos. I just want my lip pierced or my tongue. Thats all i want, and my mother refuses to allow it. And since i live in ny i know my tattoos willl have to wait till im 18, but my piercings dont. I dont get why she cant just let me have it. Its not like its permanantly scaring me. And she cant say i cant have it cause of work when im not allowed to get a job yet so i can be home for my brother and stuff. And lots of people work with piercings. And a tongue piercing you cant really see. I dont get why she cares so much, its my face and my life. Not hers, just because she dosent like them dosent mean i should be scoulded and everything. WHyyyyy????????????????????

"the hardest part of living is just taking breaths to stay"
I'm crazyy. Get to know me. Message for msn/aim

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Mother and piercings and tattoos - March 4th 2009, 08:11 PM

Hey Kaitie! :]
To be honest i think it's best that you wait until you're eighteen and then if you still want them, go ahead and go for it. While you're still living in your parents house, you've pretty much just gotta suck it up and agree to wait. I don't know about the rules on age where you are, but in the UK the age of consent for piercings is 16, so technically you COULD get the piercings whether your mum likes it or not, however it may cause more hassle than its worth. Staying on your mums good side and just agreeing to wait will cause a lot less stress for you. Obviously, if you're really set on getting the piercings then you'll have to deal with the consequences of your mum being really mad. And really, two years in the scheme of things isn't THAT long to wait.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Mother and piercings and tattoos - March 4th 2009, 08:13 PM

Hmm well the age to get most piercings over here is 16 without parental consent. If it isn't the same there then just wait til you're 18 then at least you can be sure you want them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Anna Skye Offline
live and let love...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Mother and piercings and tattoos - March 4th 2009, 08:15 PM

Kaitie,

As much as I hate to play the part of the person agreeing with your mum, I do agree with your mum. Regardless of how old you act, you're still a minor and you're still her child, and until you're 18, she makes the rules - it' a sad but true fact of life. But next year you'll be headed off to college and you'll be a legal adult - get it done then!

peace and love

If you read this signature,
know that someone cares about you.
You are not alone.

<3 Contact me

last cut: 4 august 2010
last purge: 13 march 2010

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: Mother and piercings and tattoos - March 4th 2009, 08:37 PM

Agreed, although i also hate to be the one to tell you your mum is right, you are only 15, and regardless of how mature you are, you're still underage, why not take a while to think about it, It took me so long to convince my mum to just be okay with her getting my nose periced, and she only agreed because i went out and got myself and i turned 17 ><. and tattoos espically, pick something you really like, and when you turn 18 if you still want it, get it, along with the peircings you want. Saves the regrets right?.

The It's my body line, convinces yourself, but i used that exact line when i stretched my ear to 8mm, and my mum told me it was a stupid idea and i didnt listen and now even a year after taken it out my ear is still all baggy.
My point is, no matter how much you hate it, parents are generally right about these types of things.

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#6 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Mother and piercings and tattoos - March 5th 2009, 07:32 PM

Kaitie - Its already been said, wait untill your 18....doesnt matter if you are a matured 16 yr old....legally your still a minor. Untill your legal, Id have to agree with your mum.

Make sure, if you get a tattoo, you think about it & dont just get one spur of the moment.

Jamie
xx

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
wtp Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Mother and piercings and tattoos - March 5th 2009, 09:37 PM

Why do you want a tattoo? Tattoos destroy natural beauty.

Closed Thread