TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

and when my day couldnt get worse, my sister tests positive for lupus - April 11th 2011, 12:16 AM

Her symptoms are pretty severe.

It's affecting her central nervous system, she's almost blind in one eye because of artery damage.
Her red cell count is also really low AND there are abnormalities with her heart.

Anyway, I don't know what to do. There's not much I can do. I'm not religious, I don't pray. So do I just hope for the best? I guess so.

She's one of the strongest people I know and I can't see her not being able to do what she enjoys. Up until 8th grade she played football, but now she's a cheerleader and a damn good one at that. She's also the best discus thrower and shot putter our school has. It's her senior year and this is a pretty crappy deal.

How do I handle this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: and when my day couldnt get worse, my sister tests positive for lupus - April 11th 2011, 12:25 AM

I'm really sorry that your sister was diagnosed with Lupus. I've heard of that, and it does not sound fun at all. There are a few things you can do. You can do some online research and talk to her doctor about way in which you can be there for her. Just support her through this. I know it's hard to see your sister like this, but she needs you. She is probably scared and confused, so she is going to need a lot of support. Sisters are generally really close, so you're probably one of the people that she needs the most. You can even ask her directly what she needs from you. She might just want you to be there for your sister. It's obvious that she isn't going to be well enough to participate in sports, and I'm sure she will be devastated because of that as well. So, just be there for her in all possible ways. As for you, make sure you are taking care of yourself. Make sure that you are getting support as well. Are there family members or friends that can help you through this? It's going to be hard, so hang in there<3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: and when my day couldnt get worse, my sister tests positive for lupus - April 11th 2011, 01:30 AM

My roommate has lupus. She takes medication for it (and has explained the possible side effects to us - which, frankly, are just as bad as the side effects of lupus itself), and she's constantly sick/losing weight... so I can understand some of what you're going through.

Like Lynds said, just do what you can to support your sister. Be there for her when she's sad. Be that shoulder she can cry on. If she's venting, listen to her, and offer her words of encouragement. Perhaps you could go with her to doctor's appointments, if she wants you there with her to hear the latest news (which will hopefully be good).

Also like Lynds said, don't forget to take care of yourself, because YOU need to be emotionally strong and healthy in order to help out your sister. So if you have something stressful in your life, either get help for dealing with the problem or cut it out of your life altogether, so that you can be well enough to help out your sister when she needs you. Don't forget, you're not the only one your sister will be able to rely upon - so be sure to share the burden with family members, her friends, etc.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NeverNeverLand Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: and when my day couldnt get worse, my sister tests positive for lupus - April 11th 2011, 02:59 AM

I'm really sorry you are going through this, a close friend of mine was diagnosed with lupus 2 years ago when she was rushed to the er when her kidneys failed. It's a hard concept to deal with, especially so young. Like the others said, you really can just be supportive and take care of yourself. One additional thing I would like to add is this: try doing little things to make life seem like it's back to normal. Like I would take her on a picnic or go to the beach. Many people I know who go through such tough diseases do NOT like people feeling sorry for them, they know it's going to be a struggle, but they want to move on and move forward. The best thing I found was trying to make life as "normal" as possible, whatever that is. It's a tough disease but you both will get through this. If you need more advice or just someone to vent to on this, I'd love to help. Best of luch!

Closed Thread