TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

sibling in mental hospital - April 14th 2011, 02:23 AM

My sister Lisa was hallucinating and delusional for a good 7 months...She finally got health insurance and started seeing a therapist.. The therapist put her on Abilify and Lithium and she finally took a medical leave from college..she was living with me until a couple of hours ago when she went to therapy here and the therapist demanded she go to a hospital... She is now in a hospital and I don't know how long she'll be there or what they are like..I'm getting sadder and sadder talking about this but how is it for those who suffer from these type of disorders? Is it horribly debilitating and unbearable and more to be schizophrenic or bi-polar? I know she could also have Major Depression with Psychotic Features which is what I have but in 5-10 years I could be bi-polar or schizophrenic and the chances of me being bi-polar are much higher than my chances are of being schizophrenic but is it horrible? I hear most schizophrenics remove themselves from social encounters and end up living alone and don't function too well..
I'm glad she's gone in a sense because maybe the hospital can help her more than I can but at the same time I don't know and I feel selfish and rude to say I'm glad she's out of the house and there because it was impossibly hard to take care of her here..I'm 18 she's 23 and she didn't know how to sit still and she thought the TV was talking to her and I had to tuck her into bed and read bedtime stories with me and she apparently tried waking me in the middle of the night so I could sleep with her and I don't know why I don't remember that moment and I feel horrible that I didn't end up getting out of bed to sleep with her in her bed because she only got 3 hours of sleep last night and that was even with the sleeping pills she's been taking and I just don't know if I'm helping or not...I'm so...ugh...I'm sorry...I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry Lisa and I love you and I really really hope you get help and are happy and aren't in that hospital forever and I'm sorry you had to take care of me when I was younger and you were younger and you had to shelter me from Dad and Mom and I'm sorry that you are this now...I hope you know you deserve better and that I love you and I'm sorry!! I can barely look at myself to know that you've been so stressed taking care of me and Douglas and Phebe and trying to help Mom and you even paid for like half of my clothes and gave me 1000 dollars before I went to high school so I could pay for things like prom dresses or books or school stuff and I'm soooo sorry!! I don't deserve a sister like you!! I hope you keep yourself safe and get better and I can't even bare this..I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: sibling in mental hospital - April 14th 2011, 03:57 AM

I don't see why you're thinking you could have bipolar or schizophrenia in 5-10 years, seems over-exaggerating.

The rest is from my academic experience and personal experience with patients in the mental hospitals. I cant give you personal experience of how it feels to have the disorders, only that they're heavily stigmatized, schizophrenia especially. If you want information on the medications and psychotherapy, that I can provide but not on personal experience with having the disorders. From a pharmacological insight, the medications you mentioned narrows down her likely symptoms. For example, your sister would have strong depressive symptoms because both Lithium and Abilify function as anti-depressants, although Abilify also is an anti-psychotic.

If you want to help your sister when she's released, pay attention to her behaviours and make sure she takes the medications. Lithium in particular can have extremely devestating consequences from being at the wrong dosage and has the widest range of side-effects compared to all anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. Also, anti-psychotics typically induce sedation, that is, she'll be very tired. Many patients don't like these effects so they don't want to take their medication, so make sure she does. The beneficial effects for anti-depressants won't occur right away, it takes about 2-3 weeks, however, side-effects can occur much sooner.

This may sound weird or degrading but I don't want it to: don't drink grapefruit juice with most medications. It's a wonderful way to truly screw patients up and hospitals found this out the hard way.

I don't have either of the disorders but I have seen people diagnosed with them. For most, it's pretty hard on them. There are different types of schizophrenia and psychotic features from bipolar and depression. The one that patients probably feel the best with are grandiose types where they'll believe they're Jesus re-incarnated. I've visited my grandmother several times when she was in the mental hospital and I had a patient with schizophrenia want to "bless" me and gift me a gift using her "powers".

Prognosis depends in part on the sub-type but also on presence of other mental illnesses, social factors, child history, etc... . Overall, the sub-type with the best prognosis is also the most common sub-type, paranoid schizophrenia. Best example is John Forbes Nash Jr. who was a mathematician, won the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences and was a professor. If you've seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind", it was based heavily on him. The worst prognosis is also for the rarest sub-type, catatonic schizophrenia. It used to be more common but patients have been treated early enough it rarely gets to that extent.

Regarding your sister, it sounds like she was involuntarily admitted so typically she'll be there for 48 hours involuntarily. Afterward, she can either be fully released, re-admitted voluntarily or re-admitted involuntarily.

Many schizophrenics do remove themselves from society but it's more complicated than just that. Many return to society perfectly and you won't ever know they had schizophrenic symptoms. A huge hurdle though isn't based on the patient but from the treatment because anti-psychotics are nasty, even the newest ones, such as Abilify. Researchers are trying to figure out better anti-psychotics but it's the mechanisms of how they work that cause the side-effects. Abilify is better than older ones, such as haloperidol, which no doctor would ever want to prescribe.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: sibling in mental hospital - April 14th 2011, 08:42 AM

You can't just assume that you will develop bipolar disorder or schizophrenia in 5-10 years, because mental illnesses do not behave like physical illnesses do. There are so many factors to take into consideration. You may have genetic predispositions toward developing certain mental disorders, but it also depends on your environment, your individual circumstances while growing up, whether or not you seek out therapy, etc.

If your sister is in the hospital, then I can only assume she is getting around-the-clock treatment. Whenever she is released, I am sure the psychological professional she is seeing will ensure that she is set up for success. If that means living with family, then I imagine you will be given a great deal of information and resources in order to help your sister. Your sister could also live in a board and care facility for a while, which would allow her to slowly become more independent over time.

Right now, I think the best things you can do for your sister are to 1) visit her if possible, write her letters if it's not possible, and 2) keep YOURSELF healthy! Whenever she is released, you'll need to be ready for her. That means thinking about her needs AS WELL AS your own needs. =)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

Re: sibling in mental hospital - April 15th 2011, 03:25 AM

Thanks so much guys! The reason I ask is because when I was 16 over the summer of 2009 I was admitted to the mental health department of a hospital. There I was hearing voices and thought I was possessed by a demon. I eventually came out of it and I am better now but I did hear the voices still for a good year after that hospitalization and I was on Zyprexa for a year and then they switched me to Abilify and several several SEVERAL psychiatrists and therapists told me in five to ten years I could be bi-polar or schizophrenic considering I had major depression with psychotic features and had entered psychosis. My environment typically sucks because my family is OVER THE TOP DYSFUNCTIONAL.....my mom...ugh...I ran away from home when I was 14 and she didn't even notice I was gone and my brother...he failed out of college..he's 21, has NO friends and still sucks his thumb....people at my work think he has a social disorder or is mentally retarded...phebe..my other sister CAN be a sweetheart but she can also be a b.itch and call me a w.hore or an idiot for having a boyfriend and then my Dad is awesome..I live with him which is GREAT!! but...that doesn't mean I don't have drama considering Lisa is now insane...I'm half-insane, Douglas will die alone sucking his thumb, and Phebe is a married b.itch most of the time and then Mom...well she claims she doesn't understand how I could possibly think that I don't feel loved by her because in her eyes...I'm the child that gets the MOST attention out of the four of us!!! And she asked me how old I was on my 16th birthday and she told me I deserved the sexual harassment I endured for 3 years at ages 7-9 and after that sexual harassment and her reaction to it I became anorexic and she didn't notice and I recovered because Lisa and Phebe noticed and now Lisa is paying the price...and Mom..I was anorexic again at 15 and she was still calling me fat..I didn't get my period for six months and when I finally went against her and started eating again she was giving me lectures on how close I was to being skinny and how I was throwing away all my hard work and I was like...MOM!! I SHRANK [Edited] INCHES!! I AM EATING LESS THAN A [Edited] CALORIES A DAY!! AND I HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY PERIOD FOR SIX MONTHS!! I'M EATING!! and then when I would eat she would take food away from me...the first time she told me she loved me I was 13 years old and...there are tons and tons of other disturbing stories like this of how she's betrayed me but everyone in my family has...Lisa, Douglas, Phebe, and even my Dad who I didn't start living with until this summer and seeing until this summer because when I was younger he was abusive...
So...as for environment...the likelihood of me being bi-polar or schizophrenic in a couple of years is VERY likely.....I just hope my kids don't get it.....

Last edited by SparklingWine; April 15th 2011 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Removing calorie and size numbers.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: sibling in mental hospital - April 15th 2011, 06:07 PM

Wow. That is a heck of a story, and I am truly sorry to hear that you have gone through so much over the course of your life. My ex-stepmother suffers from bipolar disorder, and I have worked with individuals suffering from schizophrenia for over a year, so I am well aware of how debilitating those two mental disorders can be; however, I have never heard of a story quite as chaotic as yours. It sounds like there's a lot going on... so if you ever want to talk about it, whether it's to rant or discuss options for the future, PLEASE don't hesitate to PM me. I know you have plenty of psychological professionals who are keeping an eye on your situation, but I imagine it couldn't hurt to talk to someone who's a little closer to your age. =)

With that being said... there definitely seems to be a genetic predisposition, and your environment definitely isn't helping... but that doesn't mean you can't change your environment in the years to come, or continue to seek help on a regular basis. Have you considered moving out? I know that's easier said than done, but perhaps you could stay at a B&C facility while searching for a job? Because I hate the idea that you are resigning yourself to the possibility of developing a more severe disorder in the future. I hate that the psychological professionals are telling you this, yet they do not seem to be helping you in moving out of the house (at the very lease, they could provide you with resources and/or refer you to someone with connections).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

Re: sibling in mental hospital - April 17th 2011, 03:09 PM

Thanks so much! That's really sweet! I will definitely contact you if anything else comes up. If there's anything i have learned from all of this it's that there is no challenge I cannot overcome. However, I grow exceedingly weary of having to deal with all of these factors in my life and I would love to move out but my Dad doesn't think it would be a good idea. I also feel as if me moving out would be some kind of betrayal to the family because everyone here needs help and if I just abandoned my brother and sister and moved out I would be a horrible family member. I have considered cutting my mom out of my life SEVERAL times but other people don't think it's a good idea and I am going to college within a couple of months so if I were to cut her out of my life I would probably end up not going to college or be killed by my family members. There were days where I tried to call CPS and my mom would find out, scream at me, and I would be beaten up by Lisa or Douglas both physically and verbally. I'm not helping matters but I guess venting is better than not venting.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: sibling in mental hospital - April 21st 2011, 10:01 PM

Oh my god. I am super sorry about this. You dont know how I feel. Even though I dont have a personal experience, I can tell how this effects you. I believe you dont have to be very sorry sorry, but since she was the oldest, she probably felt like the one who could (or should ?) take care of you. But now its probably your time to try to take of her. Since shes in mental care, she needs more help now. Shes probably feeling vulnerable at the moment. And all the things shes done for you, you dont have to feel sorry or say your sorry, because she did that out of heart. Just always keep that in mind, that she did all of that out of heart. ♥

(#8 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

Re: sibling in mental hospital - April 24th 2011, 05:18 AM

Hahahahah...sorry I love your username!! Godzilla love you!! that's soo fricking funny!! hehe but thanks so much for that! I know that she decided on her own to take care of me because she felt like no one would...she told me when she left for college that I had to take care of the family and that it was my responsibility to get my brother's act together and keep him happy....when that day came I didn't know what she was talking about...I was 13 and thought my whole family was normal but I knew I was depressed...now..well once a year passed I realized my family was NOT normal and in fact HIGHLY dysfunctional. And then it grew worse and I couldn't take care of the family and such but I mean...gosh...life is NOT supposed to be that way...when I was a kid I would waste all my wishes and shooting stars on hopes that my family would be functional or that my mom would eventually be happy and take care of herself or that my sister would be happy. Now, I'm not too concerned with those wishes because I mean..they are pointless... I have to be realistic. But good news is that Lisa is out of the hospital! She is now living with me, Douglas, and Dad again and that's good! SHe was only in the hospital for five days but.....I don't know that they helped that much. She still has hallucinations and can't sleep alone and needs me to talk to her all the time and jog with her and she'll apologize to me about it and I'll just say "Pfft...it's fine don't worry about it" but honestly.....I cried for an hour and a half today because I was EXHAUSTED!! I haven't been getting much sleep now that she's been here and she wants to be with me all the time and I even read to her and I tell her to go eat something because she lost over 60 pounds in 2 months and I mean..ugh..she's emaciated...but I finally got her to eat meat again and I don't show her that I'm tired of taking care of her like this or that it's stressing me out because that's the last thing she needs but OMG!!! I CAN NOT F.UCKING DO THIS!! I AM SOOOOOO F.UCKING TIRED!! OMG!!! I'M 18 FOR CHRIST SAKE!! I UNDERSTAND I AM AN ADULT BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HELP A DELUSIONAL, HALLUCINATING PERSON WHO CAN BARELY MOVE OR EAT OR WALK!!! OMG!! and it would be easier to take care of her if she weren't my sister because I wouldn't feel as responsible..If I weren't born than she wouldn't have had to take care of me when Mom and Dad weren't....ugh....this is the sacrifice she has had to make...dear god...
I love her...I do...I really really really do I just feel like sh.it when I'm around her because don't know what to do to cure her and help her and the hospital didn't help much and I....I'm panicked and freaked out and I feel like I'm alone and no one else is trying as hard as I am....Dad is always working and he can talk to her when he gets home but he doesn't walk with her or read to her or sleep in the same bed as her and even call her back at school to reassure her that I'm coming home soon and she doesn't need to worry!! OMG!! AND DOUGLAS DOESN'T DO ANYTHING!! HE STILL SUCKS HIS THUMB AND SITS IN HIS ROOM AND MOPES AND GETS ON HIS COMPUTER AND PLAYS COMPUTER GAMES OR VIDEO GAMES AND I UNDERSTAND THAT HE WAS BULLIED AND HAS NO FRIENDS BECAUSE OF HIS HORRIBLE SOCIAL SKILLS FROM BEING BULLIED BUT SERIOUSLY!!???? YOUR SISTER IS DOWN THERE AND THINKS THE TV IS TALKING TO HER AND YOU ARE PLAYING A F.UCKING GAME BOY!! YOU'RE 21!!! GROW A PAIR!! omg!! sorry!! ugh...just..frustrated and EXHAUSTED...and mom came down last weekend and screamed at me and told me I was the reason Lisa was like this and that I don't actually care about her and I started crying really hard and she tried hugging me and saying the point is -LISA NEEDS TO GRADUATE COLLEGE-WE CAN FOCUS ON HER MENTAL HEALTH AFTER SHE GRADUATES AND YOU FOCUSING ON HER MENTAL HEALTH NOW IS WRONG AND THAT FOCUSING ON HER MENTAL HEALTH NOW WILL DESTROY HER AND CAUSE HER TO BE MORE OF A VEGETABLE AND YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE HER THAT IF YOU TELL HER TO TAKE HER TIME WITH THIS MEDICAL LEAVE!! and I then said ok...and she said-I know you think I'm wrong but one day you'll wake up and realize I'm right- and I went to a friend's house with the claim I was going for a jog and ended up crying for a long looong while and came home again...and now my Mom has decided to come up every weekend and lecture me on every little thing I am doing wrong with Lisa and have done to destroy Lisa...ugh...that b.itch....she's just stressed but my God...I CARE MORE ABOUT LISA THAN SHE EVER WILL!! UGH!!

Closed Thread