TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

not sure if this is the right spot - April 25th 2011, 11:20 PM

so i want to run away im tired of my parents and evey one ganging up on me blaming me making me feel guilty they wont listen i tried the letter thing i tried a couselor i tried them directly all the do is yell so im going to run away i have my route i just need to find a way to get there and how im go see my grandpas gravesite then im go from there and i know this isnt the right choice but anyother ideas are welcomed cuz i just dont know what to do

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

I’m catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: not sure if this is the right spot - April 25th 2011, 11:43 PM

Your counselor yelled at you? That's horrible! I would try seeing a different counselor. If every single one of your school's counselors treat you poorly, then I would talk to another trusted adult - a teacher, a coach, a friend's parent, an extended family member, etc. I know it's easy to get discouraged and give up after one or two conversations that don't go as well as you would have liked... but trust me, you have NOT exhausted all of your available resources. There may even be people you don't know about yet who could help you!

Running away is simply that - running away. It doesn't solve any problems and it leaves you in a position that is just as bad, if not worse, than your previous one. You won't have a roof over your head or a steady source of income for food, clothing, etc. You may not be able to attend school unless your parents can sign the appropriate forms, which means you could be at a severe disadvantage in the future if you ever plan to get a job. Most employers want someone with a high school diploma or GED, and many employers also want people with college degrees (depending on the career path you take). There are also other costs you may not have considered, like transportation costs and medical insurance. How are you going to get to and from work/school without money for the bus? What if you become ill and can't pay for everything out-of-pocket?

In the end, I really do feel like running away isn't the answer, which is why I can't support you in making that decision. I feel that there are always other options that can be exhausted - for example, living with extended family and going to court in order to have someone else appointed as your legal guardian, or calling the police/CPS and being removed from the home if your parents are abusive toward you. Running away just puts your life on hold, and the reason why we seek help is so that we can move forward. =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: not sure if this is the right spot - April 26th 2011, 02:55 AM

Running away never solves anything. You can run away from the problem but eventually it will catch up to you the problem will still be there when you get back, but you'll also have to deal with the fallout of you running away. There will be a missing person's report filed and police will be looking for you assuming you are 16. Now how do you plan to eat? Where will you live? How will you get your money? How do you plan to ever get a job that doesn't involve flipping hamburgers? It's also important to consider your parents, they will be worried about you they will probably be constantly thinking about you and where you are a lot of sleepless nights they will probably send the police to find you and if they find you, you will be in trouble. I think that's the worst possible thing to happen to a parent is for their child to run away and for them not to know whether your safe or not. Think about all this before running away.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Icewillows Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: not sure if this is the right spot - May 1st 2011, 10:03 PM

Instead of really running away, you could leave a note saying EXACTLY where you are in an obvious place and just go to a friends house, just for a night. When you return, let your parents know you are truly serious that this must stop. Then, maybe you will have their attention and they'll realized you could have run so much farther and they'll be so grateful you didn't. They will be willing to listen. But, you know your parents and how their reactions will be. Actually running away is not the answer. It will cause even more harm.

Good luck,
Icey

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Noah Zomby Offline
<3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noah Mohandas Tanner

Re: not sure if this is the right spot - May 2nd 2011, 12:52 AM

I agree with Icey where what you can do is just leave a note saying exactly where you are and leave for just a little while (a day or two). My girlfriend jumped from house to house for a week to runaway (she's back home now), but it was really hard. She wasn't sure what her plan was each day and had to ask friends if she could spend the night at their house.

You can't be arrested for running away, you just can't. And the people who are helping you by letting you stay at their house can't get arrested either because it is your will to be there. The wouldn't be forcing you to stay. However, you can be forced to go back home by the police if your parents call them.

I also agree with what everyone else said, running away is not the answer. It is a temporary fix and shouldn't be taken as a permanent fix. There are always other options. Truly think about this before you choose to follow through. This isn't the answer you're looking for.

Risk something, take back what's yours.
Say something that you know they might attack you for.
Cause I'm sick of being treated like I have before.
Like it's stupid standing for, what I'm standing for.

When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

Your voice is your own, I can't protect it.

You'll have to sing.
A verse no one has ever, known.
Don't be afraid.
Cause no one ever sings, alone.
Love all.

Closed Thread