TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

*insert bad language here* - April 27th 2011, 12:52 AM

Okay.

So, I've got this really bad allergy. It's with cinnamon, artificial and real, and I can't even smell it. People have candles, air fresheners? Cinnamon gum? If I touch it, I get red welts. If I smell it, I can't breathe well. My lips and hands go numb and I can't focus my vision and I can't think.

Well, it's usually not much of a problem.

But today, I had a reaction. This is where the 'friends and family' thing comes in.

I called my mom to tell her someone had had a candle or gum or something in the hall, and that I needed my medicine. I'd forgotten to get some to bring with me to school, and besides, I usually end up having to go home, anyway. As it turns out, my mom had taken my sister to her doctor to see why she'd been running a fever pretty much forty-eight hours straight. So, she said she'd call my grandma to come pick me up.

No problem, right?

Well, I sat all lunch hour in the office (like, thirty-five or forty minutes), waiting on my grandma to get there. I couldn't go up stairs to get my backpack or anything, so I was pretty much sitting there, trying to concentrate on my breathing and everything. Some of my teachers and the vice principal and the secretary came around to talk to me sometimes. By this time, I was pretty worried, my head wasn't thinking right.

So, my grandma gets down there.

With my aunt.

My aunt (a twenty-three year old stay at home with no job or ambition or boyfriend or girlfriend or friends her age) shoves a Benedryl at me and says: "It says not to break it, but take it anyway." I told her I didn't want to take it because I didn't want it to hurt me. She says that I have to take something. I just wanted to get out of there, and get to a place where I could rest. So I take a half of one. It numbs the side of my tongue. I tried telling her I couldn't take it without water, meaning I couldn't chew it and needed to swallow it. So we walk upstairs to get my stuff.

I go inside, get my stuff. She picks it up for me, and says I need to go get some water. Thinking she meant I just needed to get a drink from the fountain to soothe my throat and numb, tingly tongue (no thanks to the Benedryl she fed me), I go to the fountain and get a drink. I'm not good at drinking from fountains when I can focus on things, much less when my vision's constantly wavering and my hands and mouth is numb. So I move back from the fountain.

She tells me, right there in front of everyone, quite loudly and angrily: "Ana, get another drink and swallow your Benedryl!" This is in the middle of the school hallway, mind you.

I told her I couldn't take it, because I'd choke on it if I tried, and just make things worse. She told me to take it again, louder. So I just told her loudly (I may have been shouting; I don't know, I wasn't thinking that well) that I wasn't going to drink it because I'd get choked on it if I tried to swallow it with water from the water fountain. So she yells at me to chew it up, and shoves it in my hands.

So, I shouted at her and told her I wasn't chewing them because it said not to break them and the side of my tongue was already numb from the first one she made me take, right there in the middle of the hallway, in front of a lot of people I know and one of my favorite teachers, and storm off in the opposite direction. I think she may have told me two or three more times that I needed to take it, at which point I kept telling her I'd just wait until we got home.

I storm out the door, and go to get in the car with my grandma. Like I said before, I don't think clearly when my head isn't getting enough oxygen. So I went to open the passenger's side and climb in. My aunt snaps at me to get in the back, so I back down and don't protest against it, and sit down.

As soon as I get in, my aunt starts dialing on her cellphone. I start crying, because I'd just shouted at her in front of people at school, and it would probably get around, and I knew that she was calling my mom. I didn't figure she'd say anything about me telling her I'd wait until I got home with a proper thing of water to take my medicine.

My mom answers the phone. My aunt says: "Hey, Sara, we've picked up Ana, but she's not going to take her medicine," in an all-Ana's-fault sort of way.

So I yell at her: "I'm not going to chew the stupid thing! The side of my tongue's already numb, and I couldn't take it with the water fountain because it would choke me! I'm just going to wait until I get home to take it!"

So my aunt says: "Well, you have to take something!"

And I start yelling at her again, repeating the same thing. And you know what? My grandma doesn't even take my side, even though I was completely justified! She told me to stop yelling and be quiet. And then I started crying again, and my mom asked me if I was alright and everything, and told me to just stop at a store and get a bottled water to take it with, which I hadn't thought of because of my confused, angry, frustrated mind.

My mom took my side, and so did my dad. I didn't apologize to my grandma or aunt, which isn't my problem, 'cause I've stayed angry at them for weeks before.

I'm just worried that it would have gotten around school by tomorrow morning that I had a reaction and me and my aunt were screaming at each other. I mean, we've had fights before. I've slammed the door in both my grandma and my aunt's faces plenty of times, because they always pick at me and prod at me and frustrate me, but never, ever have we fought so publicly before. In front of everyone. Now everyone knows that there's tension between my grandma and aunt and me.

And also, they only live twenty minutes away from my school. But it took thirty or so for them to get there. My aunt obviously doesn't care for anything that I can't breathe or function on my own very well after I come in contact with cinnamon, because she'd taken the time to dress up before she even started on her way down there, knowing that I was terrified and needed my allergy medicine something fierce.

My mom's sending medicine to school to stay with the school nurse from now on, just FYI, in case I forget it. I've decided that if it ever comes to my mom being at the doctor or something when I have an allergic reaction, I'm just gonna take the Benedryl the nurse keeps for me and stay down there whether I can really think or not, because I'm not going through that again.

But I'm still worried about what the kids at school are going to think. I'm afraid that I'll make even more enemies than I already have, considering all but two of the high school kids that ride my bus won't even talk to me because my cousin -- my grandma's son, by the way -- has convinced them I'm evil. I can't help it that I'm recovering from depression, wear dark clothes, like to write poetry instead of being flirted with by boys who I don't even like very well all the time, have blue hair, and have three sixes at the end of my lunch number. But this is going to make it even harder on me, I'm sure. I'm not even sure who all heard me shouting back at my aunt.

I wish this had never happened.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: *insert bad language here* - April 27th 2011, 01:12 AM

Hey there. I am totally sorry for what happened with your aunt. What she did was out of line, and should have been more supportive of you. On the flip side, in the future-- maybe ask the nurses office for a cup of water? I think that you should talk to your aunt and tell her how you felt about the way that she acted and that you felt embarrassed by her little act in the hallway. As for the people who witnessed this, it's likely that they're not going to bring it up with you. They probably don't care as much as you would think. You know? The people who saw it are probably going to forget what happened. In their minds they more than likely thought "Wow, that's embarrassing.. I hope she is okay" and stop to watch the show. but if it were me witnessing something like that, then I wouldn't talk to that person about it unless it was to ask if they were okay. If someone DOES ask you about this incident, tell them only what you want to tell them. That's all they deserve to know. Take care<3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: *insert bad language here* - April 27th 2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter View Post
Hey there. I am totally sorry for what happened with your aunt. What she did was out of line, and should have been more supportive of you. On the flip side, in the future-- maybe ask the nurses office for a cup of water? I think that you should talk to your aunt and tell her how you felt about the way that she acted and that you felt embarrassed by her little act in the hallway. As for the people who witnessed this, it's likely that they're not going to bring it up with you. They probably don't care as much as you would think. You know? The people who saw it are probably going to forget what happened. In their minds they more than likely thought "Wow, that's embarrassing.. I hope she is okay" and stop to watch the show. but if it were me witnessing something like that, then I wouldn't talk to that person about it unless it was to ask if they were okay. If someone DOES ask you about this incident, tell them only what you want to tell them. That's all they deserve to know. Take care<3
Well, the nurses office was actually up where the cinnamon was, and even if it hadn't been, I probably would not have remembered. But I will try to remember. And we had a bottled water machine, but my money was all out and my aunt's wallet was in the car.

And I know they might not really remember it, but I really, really don't like being pitied or comforted much. It just upsets me more and I usually end up crying when I'm alone again. But, I suppose if any of my friends are around, they do have the right to ask, and I'll answer. I don't mind them. But if random people ask, I'll probably be upset. I don't think they will, though, now that you've reassured me a bit. Thank you.

I'm really sensitive when it comes to my aunt and grandma, if you can't tell. I'm usually not given to shouting at all. My friends would tell you that I'm the hardest person they know to make angry, because they've all told me that at some point or another. Yet my aunt and grandma always seem to get under my skin...

It's kind of hard to coexist with them, sometimes. They live right up the road from me, and they're part of the reason I don't go outside much, even though I live on a seventy-four acre farm. They criticize me so much... They've called me evil behind my back, frightened me so badly I can't sleep in my own room, and all else, and they still convince me continually to come back to them. Then they take my trust and throw it in the dust and I'm left with nothing but my own dumb luck to carry me through whatever traps they set for me.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

Closed Thread