TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Question - March 7th 2009, 11:43 PM

I have two..."friends" I know. I always have to start a conversation or they won't talk to me. They have no problem talking to other people they know. Can I safely assume they don't wish to talk to me and only do so because of some sense of politeness or pity?
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rosemma Offline
PullMe IntoYour PerfectCircle.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Rosemma

Re: Question - March 7th 2009, 11:57 PM

I dont know how to answer that because no one can tell what they are thinking.

What Id say is... I never start conversations with people, even people I like and want to talk to, I just cant do it... I feel awful and loose friends and never gain any new ones.

Dont assume they dont want to talk to you but try to find out. Once you start talking to them, whats the conversation like? How interested are they and how do they reply? How long or much do they talk?

They could be shy or they could be polite.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Question - March 8th 2009, 12:01 AM

It's usually a pause of a few minutes between replies (I'd call but I'm too afraid). I can't really gauge their level of interest from words on a screen, but with one his interest was good if we talked about a computer game.
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rosemma Offline
PullMe IntoYour PerfectCircle.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Rosemma

Re: Question - March 8th 2009, 12:23 AM

I do think a pause of a few minutes is normal as they could be talking to others on the internet at the same time or doing other things.
It is hard to tell how interested someone is over the internet... but talking about something you have in common like the computer game is good and sounds like a positive thing.

Maybe they are just mutual friends that dont know you well yet?
Its not that they dont want to talk to you but they havent got to know you that well.
You could try keep talking to them about things you have in common and see what happens.

Also if they really didnt want to talk to you they could always block you on their contact list or delete you.
So as long as you can see them online there probably isnt a problem.
If they decide to stop then its their loss.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Marissa

Re: Question - March 8th 2009, 12:41 AM

Don't assume anything about their intentions toward you, especially if you only communicate online. The fact that they let you initiate could mean they're shy/not sure you want to be friends with them/busy with stuff. Again, common interests are a good way to get conversations going, and maybe learn more about them so you can get closer if you wish. If they really didn't like you but were only being polite, I doubt they would always reply. But talking in person (if possible), on the phone or even texting can give you a better idea of how interested they are in the talk.

When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Question - March 8th 2009, 04:25 PM

Hey Vincent,

I don't think you should be able to assume that they only talk to you out of pity. I don't think that's the case at all. Some people don't like to start conversations and some people take a while to reply. They may want to talk about something, but don't know that you would be interested.

The best thing you can do is to keep on talking to them. Find out what they like to talk about and what you both like to talk about and go from there.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread