TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Name: Michaela

Need to be able to grow up properly =/ - May 15th 2011, 08:35 PM

Right my parents have always been so controlling of my life. I just can't seem to take it anymore though. I did four years at college and then wanted to go to university to study forensic science (always wanted to be a crime scene investigator) but they wouldn't let me because they said I wouldn't make it. They also said the job was pathetic, that I am pathetic if I want to be called out to a crime scene where people are dead. But its what I have always wanted to do from the moment I saw CSI and NCIS. My parents said there was no reality at all in them programmes but it actually shows them doing things that the real crime scene investigators would do.

They still won't let me go to uni and i left college a year ago. I just want to make something of my life, I want to pursue the career I have always wanted but something always gets in the way. This is really starting to get me down, I still watch these programmes and when I watch them I say to myself "That could have been me by now if I had gone to uni." I torture myself over it and I don't know why.
Why won't they let me do the career that I want to do? Is there something wrong with it?
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Need to be able to grow up properly =/ - May 15th 2011, 10:36 PM

Hey there! I can relate to what you're going through. When I told my parents I wanted to be a psychologist or a therapist, they said that it was only because I liked "Law & Order: SVU". They said that, in reality, I would be working with twisted, dangerous people. My dad also felt that therapy was for weak people, so he felt obtaining a job that would allow me to provide therapy would be a waste of my potential.

I had to "grow up" and show my parents that I was truly passionate about my career of choice. I applied for undergraduate school, got in, and maintained a solid GPA. I went to school full-time, worked a part-time job, worked as an unpaid part-time intern, and still found time to volunteer on TeenHelp and hang out with friends in my spare time. When my parents saw how sincere I was about pursuing my goal, they became much more supportive. They could tell I was serious and was going to get to where I wanted to be, regardless of whether or not they were willing to help me out along the way.

I don't mean to sound patronizing - I really don't. BUT, if you really want to become a crime scene investigator, then you need to do whatever you can to achieve that dream. Get a job and take out loans. Pay your own way through college, if your parents won't support you. Do your research on what it takes to become a crime scene investigator. Look for internship opportunities - you may not be working directly with crime scene investigators, but you may be able to work with the police department and gain valuable experience through more indirect means.

If you stay home all day, watch TV shows, and think, "That could have been me," then you will get NO support from your parents, or from anyone else. You need to take matters into your own hands and go for what you want. If your parents realize you're serious and change their minds afterward (like my parents did), then great! If not... well, you're still working toward your goal, which will make you happy, even if it doesn't make them happy. =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
VivoRisataAmore Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kate

Re: Need to be able to grow up properly =/ - May 22nd 2011, 10:45 AM

I don't mean to sound disrespectful or anything but you are an adult, you are in charge of your own decisions. Your parents shouldn't be able to dictate what you do, they have every right to give advice but really it's your life and you should be able to do what you like with it.
If it is something that you really want to do then go for it, do what ever you can to make it because you don't want to have regrets later on. You may have to work extra hard but I'm sure that if you show your parents that it really is what you want to do and you work hard for it they will respect that.
Good luck!

Closed Thread