TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vvdanny Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Being at an awkward age... where do I meet new people? - May 28th 2011, 09:03 PM

Hello, I'm 18 and yesterday I just finished high school. I have a few months before my first semester of community college. In the mean time, I'd like to get out and get to know some new girls, even if they're just friends who I can be open with. I don't really know where to go, though.

As kind of some background information, the reason I'm starting now and not sooner is because until just yesterday I've been trying to get back my ex, who dumped me a few months ago right before prom. It was yesterday she told me she's not interested at all anymore, and I guess I sort of saw it coming.

Anyways like I said I don't know where to go to meet new people. At my age it's not like I can really go anywhere like clubs or bars, and I'm a bit old for youth groups and "teen" activities now. I tried some online dating type stuff before, but it seems that it's a dudefest and girls usually don't even respond. So what should I go and try? I'm keeping an open mind to just about anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Re: Being at an awkward age... where do I meet new people? - May 29th 2011, 02:23 AM

Go to a lot of parties , you're bound to find lots of people

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

(#3 (permalink)) Old
vvdanny Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Being at an awkward age... where do I meet new people? - May 29th 2011, 03:03 AM

haha you'd think so, but I'm a dork. the only parties I've ever been to are LAN parties :X

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Being at an awkward age... where do I meet new people? - May 31st 2011, 04:18 PM

Well, what kinds of things are you interested in? (I'll give a more detailed response after I know your interests)

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Being at an awkward age... where do I meet new people? - May 31st 2011, 05:18 PM

Actually, if you're 18 you CAN get into clubs - college nights/18+ nights, so it's worth a shot

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Being at an awkward age... where do I meet new people? - May 31st 2011, 05:58 PM

Play off of your interests. You've attended LAN parties, so I take it you're interested in video games. Admittedly, there are more guys than girls who play video games (and actually come together as a group in order to play), but you could still ask your friends if they know of any "girl gamers", haha. You could also look at the community college's website and see if there are any video game clubs - our school holds Super Smash Bros. tournaments from time to time, and while there are MOSTLY guys at those tournaments, a few girls show up from time to time, whether it's to play or cheer their friends on.

In all honesty, though, I think it might be better to choose a different interest, for the reason stated above: you're probably going to have better luck finding girls through other venues.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Being at an awkward age... where do I meet new people? - May 31st 2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvdanny View Post
haha you'd think so, but I'm a dork. the only parties I've ever been to are LAN parties :X
I'd just like to say that I'm a dork, but I have plenty of friends. A lot of people have the misconception that they need to be the stereotypical portrayal of a "popular kid" to get friends, but this is simply not true.

In fact, I think that being a self-described dork is a good thing. It lets you be more quirky and spontaneous. With that in mind, don't be afraid of doing what you want and what feels right when you're going out. As someone mentioned earlier, parties are a good place to start. And we're not talking about binge drinking parties as much as just those quirky get-togethers of a few people to watch some movies or randomly go to a restaurant at 2 a.m.

Don't forget about the college itself either. You're going to be in classes or elsewhere on the grounds for a lot of time when you start. You'll meet people, you'll have fun, and I guarantee you'll enjoy most of the people you connect with.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
metalheadjessus Offline
Average Joe

Re: Being at an awkward age... where do I meet new people? - June 1st 2011, 10:23 PM

Hanging out with your friends more to meet their friends who are girls and then hopefully being introduced to some more of their girl friends might be an idea. Network!

Closed Thread