TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bethany

I found my father but Im in tears HELP - June 2nd 2011, 06:13 PM

I just found my father after ten years of looking.... He emailed me right when I was about to call this whole thing quits, it took me two hours just to type the reply, I am so mixed with emotions, and I'm crying, laughing, just all at once.... I have been e-mailing and thanking all the people that have helped me... I guess I never thought what would I do when I find him it is like a NOW WHAT? how do I go about this, how do I meet him, will he want to spend time with me, be in my life, how do I replace the guy that has been here for ten years although my stepfather is abusive how do I do it. I'm I taking the wrong approach?

"Have no fear for giving in, Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

Send a message via Yahoo to BethanyAnn Send a message via Skype™ to BethanyAnn 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: I found my father but Im in tears HELP - June 2nd 2011, 06:25 PM

You are not taking the wrong approach. Its completely 100% okay to have all these emotions right now. You just found your father! Its okay to have all these questions and such.
I don't know for sure because this has never been a situation for me but from what I think, I think if he didn't want to get to know you and be in your life somehow he wouldn't have emailed you.
Just take it slow though, don't think too far into right now. After talking to him and seeing how that goes that is when you should start asking those questions.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I found my father but Im in tears HELP - June 2nd 2011, 06:28 PM

I just feel soo much relief that I found him and my stomach is turning and I'm sure this is emotional for him as well, but I just can't keep my eyes off the email waiting for a reply.... My mom knew I was looking for him but she said I would never find him, and now I don't know if I even want to tell her, I don't know how to say mom look I found my dad and she doesn't support this man at all

You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: I found my father but Im in tears HELP - June 2nd 2011, 08:41 PM

Hey Bethany,
I know exactly how you feel. While I spoke to my father on occasion, I did not actually meet him until I was 14 years-old. It was an awkward, yet happy time for me, although I haven't seen him since and this is on my own accord.
Try exchanging a few e-mail's with him first before you decide to meet up. Do it in a public place, where it's less likely to be awkward. Like a restaurant, or a park. Just try to get to know each other before hand so there is a less likely chance of it becoming awkward and filled with silence.
I'm sure your father is just as happy about meeting you, as you are about meeting him. It's quite difficult for a parent to lose a child, whatever the circumstances, and I'm sure he's been trying to find you as well.
I wish you the best of luck with everything!

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I found my father but Im in tears HELP - June 2nd 2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonPants View Post
Hey Bethany,
I know exactly how you feel. While I spoke to my father on occasion, I did not actually meet him until I was 14 years-old. It was an awkward, yet happy time for me, although I haven't seen him since and this is on my own accord.
Try exchanging a few e-mail's with him first before you decide to meet up. Do it in a public place, where it's less likely to be awkward. Like a restaurant, or a park. Just try to get to know each other before hand so there is a less likely chance of it becoming awkward and filled with silence.
I'm sure your father is just as happy about meeting you, as you are about meeting him. It's quite difficult for a parent to lose a child, whatever the circumstances, and I'm sure he's been trying to find you as well.
I wish you the best of luck with everything!
thanks!!!! Is it okay that I keep this private til' I am ready to meet him... it has been ten years

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I found my father but Im in tears HELP - June 3rd 2011, 05:02 PM

Since another thread has been created regarding this issue, I'm going to close your older thread. =)

Closed Thread