TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brittany123 Offline
Average Joe

Name: me

Question... - March 10th 2009, 02:53 PM

If you are really good friends with some one but they keep rubbing there every achievement in your face and basically say that they are better than you.. Should you stop being friends with them... Even if youre GREAT friends with them???

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Question... - March 10th 2009, 03:57 PM

Hey Brittany. I'm sorry this has been going on, and I know that has to get very annoying after awhile. But I wouldn't say it's a reason to completely end a friendship. Have you ever tried talking to this friend about how much it really does bother you when he/she does that? Maybe let them know that it's okay to be proud of themselves for whatever reason, and you're glad when they are happy, but it bugs you when they tend to rub things in your face. If your friend is any friend at all, they'll understand and respect your feelings.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Question... - March 10th 2009, 04:17 PM

Hiya Brittany,

You friendship should be equal, but it seems like she is rubbing things in your face, because maybe she has low self esteem. I dont know, however it could be non-intention & your friend may not be realising the hurt.

I suggest you talk to your friend, be truthfull, but I wouldnt stop a friendship, just have a talk & work it out.

Jamie
xx

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Question... - March 10th 2009, 09:50 PM

Hey there,

I'm not sure if this is a good reason to stop being friends completely. I think you really need to talk to this person and start ignoring these comments. Don't feel bad about them. You have your own achievements too, and you are even better for not pushing them at people.

So first I think you should talk about how these comments make you feel with this person. It's something that can definitely be worked out between you two. It wouldn't hurt to make some new friends as well that don't just focus on their achievements.

Just know that your friend is feeling happy about what they have accomplished, and since you're their friend, they want to share that with you. They probably don't know it is making you feel bad.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Barbed Lungs Offline
Crazy Cat Lady
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicola

Re: Question... - March 10th 2009, 10:09 PM

Hey Brittany,
I've been in this exact situation. I was friends with someone who did this, and eventually it got too much and I simply stopped talking to her. I would advise you to talk to them before it gets to this stage though, so you don't lose a friend like I did.
Let them know how it makes you feel, and if they don' take any notice of your words, are they really worth keeping anyway?
Take care, Nicola x

---
- I'm not strong enough to stay away -
- and I wanna leave -
- and I wanna stay -
- And I'm so confused -
- So hard to choose between the pleasure and the pain -
---
  Send a message via MSN to Barbed Lungs  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
wtp Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Question... - March 11th 2009, 03:16 AM

That can get very annoying, but I wouldn't say to go as far as stop being friends with them. Joke around about it; when he says one of his achievements exaggerate like crazy be like OMGGGGG I can't believe you did that you are SOO cool. Find any way to joke about it and the'll stop talking.

Closed Thread