TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hardtail Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Friends becoming something horrible. - June 25th 2011, 01:15 AM

Hey everybody. For some reason I dont want to hang out with my friends anymore. Im talking about my best friends who I have been friends with for more than 7 years. They are like my brothers. But the thing is that i slowly saw them becoming indulged in drugs and alcahol. I am not that kind of person at all and whenever i hang out with them i somehow end up doing all these kind of activities. Unfortunately these are the only friends who I can chill with and i do have other friends but they are really weird and boring and i dont fit in with them that much. Its almost impossible trying to find new friends and i gave up on that. My parents keep trying to force me to go out and hang out with my friends but if they only knew the things my friends did... i just dont know what to do anymore. Can anyone help me out here?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Friends becoming something horrible. - June 25th 2011, 02:49 AM

Hello,
Obviously these people have become someone you're not, and you are right to not want to hang out with them. I know I would feel the same way in your situation, as I would never allow myself to stoop to their level. I think it would be a good idea the next time your parents bring up hanging out with them, that you tell them about the horrible things that your so-called pals are doing and why you want little to do with them. Then of course to keep looking into ways to meet new friends elsewhere, one lesson I learned is to never stop trying. Even though for me it seemed like an impossible daunting task, giving up ascertains defeat. There are nearly 7 billion people on the face of the Earth right now, at least some of them would want to be your proper friend.

Last edited by FlyingTrue; June 25th 2011 at 03:00 AM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Friends becoming something horrible. - June 25th 2011, 06:10 PM

Hey there, I don't think you should continue to hang out with these friends if they do drugs, especially if you find yourself doing it with them. To me, having these friends that you don't want is not worth a potential drug/alcohol addiction. I think you need to be honest with your friends. Tell them that you can't associate with them if they're doing drugs and alcohol. Explain to them why that's a big deal to you. I would then go ahead and tell your parents. Be honest with them. If they found out from someone else, or somewhere else, they would assume that you're doing it with them (Which, you do.) But by telling them on your own, you can tell them what you want and how you want to. Also, keep looking into making friends. There is always ways to make friends. But you have to put yourself out of your comfort zone in order to do so. Don't give up on forming new connections with people. And as for the "weird" friends, if they're weird, accept them for that. If they're boring, suggest something fun to do. Find some commonalities you have between you and them. It makes for connecting with people better.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread