TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
squarizona Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amanda

Not sure how to bring it up to my parents. - June 29th 2011, 12:20 AM

I'm not sure if I really have any mental health/depression problems or not... I won't go into it, since this isn't the right thread for it, but I feel like I should mention it to my parents. My dad is a psychologist and I feel like he psychoanalyzes me a lot, but without saying it aloud. My mom is recently unemployed (recently as in, like... she lost her job yesterday) and has been going through a lot of tough things recently which have also affected me (like the death of her father, my grandfather). I don't want to burden my family any more than they're already burdened, but I'm so sick of feeling sad and worthless all the time. I feel guilty about things I've never done. I know that medication and/or therapy would be expensive and I don't want to put even more financial strain on. I'm wondering what would be the best approach in mentioning to my family that I want to be evaluated or something along those lines. I've mentioned to my mother a few times that I'd like to see a therapist and she's acknowledged that as a possibility, but nothing has come of it and it makes me so angry.

Any advice on how to mention it to them so they take it seriously? I'm scared that my dad would blow it off because he doesn't think that I have real problems, as he's worked in the field for a long time. I'm tired of being blown off.

Last edited by squarizona; June 29th 2011 at 12:26 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Not sure how to bring it up to my parents. - June 29th 2011, 08:08 AM

You should try talking to your dad first, even if you think that he'll just brush you off, because he has some experience with this sort of thing. You may want to be somewhat casual and offhand about it, because you probably don't enjoy being "psychoanalyzed" by him very much.

If this doesn't work, or he simply disregards what you're telling him, then you might want to start somewhere else. Your school counselor probably has similar training and education in such matters as your father, but with a different perspective. Talk to the counselor, and get some input on whether or not he/she thinks you should get professional help. If the answer is "yes", then consider having the counselor give you a referral to a professional therapist, and maybe even have the school counselor contact your parents directly about it to reenforce the idea a little bit.

You could also talk to your mother again about seeing a therapist, and this time be more assertive and consistent. I know that it might seem like you're being a bother, but it's your parents' responsibility to ensure your well-being, and this includes your mental health. If you sincerely believe that seeing a therapist would be helpful (which I think is true), then tell your parents that and have some followthrough with them to ensure it happens. You might want to set up an appointment with a psychiatrist too if you think you should be screened for depression or some other type of disorder.

Best of luck

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
Closed Thread