TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kat12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kate

Time to rekindle the relationship? - July 5th 2011, 03:40 AM

I'm 17, My parents devorced when I was just a little baby. I have always lived with my mother, but when I was younger I would visit my father with my two brothers every other weekend. Well my mother remarried and so did he. His wife hated(s) me. So after a year of my father being remarried( i was around 10) i stopped having my every other weekend visits with him. In fear of his wife.
A year after not seeing him, I tried to work it out with him but his wife told me she didn't want to see me right in front of him. I was crushed and was too afraid. I was around 11 so imagine my heart break. Also both brothers go and see him and talk to him.
Over the past 6 years I have tried to work it out. I call him( he lives a few hours away) and ask if he will call me back so we can meet up and talk. Every time he never calls me back. This always leaves me very upset for weeks or longer.
Senior year is here and I'm all grown up and he doesn't know me at all. My brothers tell me that he is moving to another state.
Should I call him and try to see him again? Am I setting my self to be let down ?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Time to rekindle the relationship? - July 6th 2011, 07:29 PM

I don't think there's a "right" or "wrong" way to address this problem. You could call your father, and he might call you back. You could call your father, and he might not respond (like he did in the past). You could decide to wait until your father contacts you instead. You could conclude your father doesn't care, never will care, and it's pointless to spend any more time thinking about him. Ultimately, it depends on what you want, so focus on making the decision that will allow you to be happy. Maybe he'll turn out to be a decent guy, maybe he'll turn out to be a jerk, or maybe you'll never really know because of the lack of contact.

Closed Thread