TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Question July 11th 2011, 11:12 AM

So, the school ball is in a few days time. I've got the dress, the makeup and tomorrow, I'm going to buy a bag and shoes. But I have a major problem...I don't know how I'm going to get to the ball and back. What makes it worse, is that my mum had a go at me this morning saying she doesn't know what I'm doing and how I'm going to get there, yet, she hasn't come up with any ideas either.

First things first, I'm not going to get drunk. I don't want to and I can't. Because the day after the ball, my mum has to take my dad (who has Alzheimers) to the dentist, and someone has to be here to take a delivery. Since my two brothers are younger than me and won't answer the door to anyone, then I have to take the delivery. So I can't be hung over.

1) Hotel.

All my friends are staying at a hotel. They are going down there in the day, getting ready there, a short walk to the ball, once that has ended going for drinks around the city and then crashing at the hotel. No-one has asked me about sharing a room, so I am not willing to pay all that money for a room for myself, when I'm not going to be drunk, and I have to be back early the next morning.

2) Taxi.

I really don't like the idea of getting in a taxi on my own. Since none of my friends need a taxi, then I would be on my own. We have had numerous talks in school about when you are out with your mates, that you all stick together, and don't let them go off in a taxi on their own.

3) Bus.

It's a long walk from my house to the nearest bus station. Plus, I dnt even know what bus I would have to catch.

3) Train.

Personally, I think this is the best option. I know I don't really want to be on a train, in a ball dress. But I worked it out that it could be possible to get a train there, and walk from the station to the ball. Getting back, I don't know. I might have to leave the ball early, because I know trains don't run all night.

4) Relatives.

All my relatives live far away. The only relative that could pick me up and drop me off would be my uncle. But it's unfair on him, because it would be late in the night and he would use up a lot of petrol. And he has a fishing trip the next day, and he goes fishing far away, so would leave in the morning. So not only would he be tired, he would use a lot of petrol on me, when he already planned to go fishing.

5) Neighbours.

Believe it or not, there are only 5 houses in the street I live in, and all my neighbours work in the morning.

6) Friends.

As I just said, it is basically impossible. Since all my friends are going to the hotel in the day, then getting ready and going to the ball, I can't go with them because I haven't booked a hotel room, and I would be hanging around outside for an hour, in my ball dress. My best friend who said I could stay at her house, is on holiday, so that's impossible.

In an ideal world...

7) Limo.

I would love to hire a limo. But I would be the only one using it, and paying for it.

8)I have a teacher from my old school, who I keep in contact with, since my family doesn't have a car, and I admire her so much, I reckon it would pretty epic if she could drop me off and pick me up. But she has work the next day.

So, yeah, I'm stuck. Maybe I should of thought about this before, but they wanted the deposits for the ball, in January. I couldn't say, can you wait a few months because I don't know how I'm going to get there. I really want to go, because I have never been to any of the school parties, and I am that sad girl with family problems,who wears jeans all the time and I thought it would be nice to dress up for once lol

Any other suggestions I am open to. Sorry, if this is long or in the wrong section lol

Yeah, so the ball is tomorrow...help?

Last edited by PSY; July 12th 2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: How to get there and back? - July 12th 2011, 02:45 PM

Is there a reliable taxi service you know of? You might not be comfortable hailing a cab of the street since it sounds a bit sketchy, but how about one that you can call? You can also go by train if you're more comfortable with that idea. You might want to bring your dress along so you can change once you get to the ball.

Just throwing a few ideas out there.
:)

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: How to get there and back? - July 12th 2011, 06:24 PM

The problem isn't that you don't have options... the problem is that you don't have any IDEAL options. If you want to go to the ball and ensure you'll be home in time, then you'll need to make a compromise somewhere along the way.

Hotel - Doesn't seem like there's any reason to pay for a hotel, so I'd rule that option out.

Taxi - Look through the phone book and call a company. Yes, some people pretend to be taxi drivers and kidnap people off the street... but if you call a company that's listed and request that a driver pick you up at a certain place and at a certain time, you should be fine. You could also write down the taxi company and the car's number, then text that information to a family member. That way, if anything did happen (which I doubt anything would), your family would know the company and the car. The police could question the driver and what-not. My advice is to simply keep your phone on hand and call someone whenever you get in and out of a cab - that way, they'll know you weren't kidnapped. =P

Bus - Just look up the routes and times in advance. Some bus routes stop running around 10 PM, some continue to run until midnight, and others may run 24/7. It depends on where you live and how popular public transportation is.

Train - Again, just look up the times in advance. You could also consider wearing street clothes and bringing the dress/shoes with you. You could change when you get to the ball, and store your street clothes in a backpack/duffel bag with the people who are running the event (perhaps in a coat closet).

Relatives - Since you don't want to inconvenience him, rule this option out.

Neighbors - Doesn't seem like anyone will be available, so rule this option out.

Friends - You said it's impossible, so not an option.

Limo - Too expensive, so rule this option out.

Teacher - Hey, it couldn't hurt to ask. Maybe you could offer to treat her to coffee before the ball, or the next day when she gets off from work. That way, you're not just asking for a favor... you're planning a social visit as well.

I can't think of any other options, so right now, I think your best bet is to go with the taxi, bus, or train. It's going to take some planning on your part, and you will have to shell out some money for taxi/bus/train fare, but it's not going to be difficult to figure your route out.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: How to get there and back? - July 12th 2011, 07:01 PM

It has to be said...I do love your answers PSY...everything sort of makes sense when you answer things lol

As for the ball, I think I might catch a train. Taxis tend not to be very interested in short journeys...I found that out a while ago when I went on a school trip...no-one was interested, all the taxis wanted to do the longer runs to airports and stuff lol

Anyway, thank you so much everyone for your advice

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How to get there and back? - July 13th 2011, 04:49 AM

1) Hotel.

Aside from the issue of possibly having to pay for your own room, there's still the question of how you get home in time for the delivery to arrive.

2) Taxi.

Some taxi services are more willing to do long-distance routes. Several months ago I had a job interview. There wasn't a train or bus that went close to the place so I called a taxi and the moment I told him I had to travel across city lines, he wasn't very pleased but did it anyway. On the return trip, I called a different taxi service and they often did longer trips. So it is a feasible option, you just need the money.

3) Bus.

It's easy enough to figure out what bus you have to catch, just look on an online bus map. However, given it's a long walk and ball dresses usually are fancy and I assume you'll be in heels, you may not want to walk a long distance. Some buses can also be a bit dirty.

3) Train.

Probably is the best option so far. I take the train regularly and I've seen folks in fancy dresses and tuxedos before. In fact, people are often interested so you could get some nice conversations going. The issue though would be if your dress goes down to your feet, you may have to tuck it up so nobody steps on it. If you need to take a bus, you can often get a discount if you just came from the train.

4) Relatives.

As you've said, there aren't any close enough to you.

5) Neighbours.

Again, no-go.

6) Friends.

No-go.

7) Limo.

Would be awesome but you need to get the money.

8) Teacher

This is negotiable as your teacher may be willing to lend a hand. It depends how early she has to go to work and how early you have to be there.

Overall, there are 2 equally good options. First, train. To make it easier, if you're not taking the train during "rush hour", go to the handicap car (in many trains it's at the middle). This car has very wide seats with lots of leg-room so it could be easier for you to sit in a ball dress, however, if someone needs it then you give it to them. As I said before, I've seen many people in fancy dresses so it won't be that big of a deal. The biggest issue would be to ensure nobody steps on it. If you're going in the morning, then watch out for people with coffee and other open drinks. Second, taxi. As long as you have enough money to pay the taxi driver, they'll likely take you. They may not be pleased about doing it but that's their problem not yours. As I said, certain taxi companies will be more willing to do longer trips.

If you're very self-conscious or worried about wearing the ball dress during transportation, then wear regular clothes and put the dress on a hanger and cover it up so it doesn't get dirtied. Again, I've seen many people do this on the train.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread