TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mano95 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Unhappy Best friend vs girlfriend? - July 23rd 2011, 05:24 AM

So a year ago, I moved from the town I've lived in for nine years, leaving behind all of my friends, including my best friend of ten years now. About six months ago, one of my other friends and I started dating, a long distance relationship.
My best friend flew 1800 miles to spend twelve days with me and my family not that long ago, and then I flew back with her to stay with my grandmother and visit my other friends. The only problem? My best friend keeps asking me if I like my girlfriend more than I like her, because I've been spending a lot of time with my girlfriend. Most of the time I spend with my girlfriend is babysitting her baby nephews, and I don't understand why my best friend is so worried that I don't like her as much. I spent twelve days straight with her, and now it's a problem if I want to spend some time with my girlfriend.
My best friend isn't confrontational about it, she's more...sad I guess. I don't know what to do. I'm trying to spend time with her, but either I'm with my girlfriend or she's with her boyfriend. Any advice? Comments?

Last edited by PSY; July 23rd 2011 at 06:47 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Best friend vs girlfriend? - July 23rd 2011, 06:44 AM

Is your best friend also bi? Because if she is... there might be a possibility that your best friend likes you and is now jealous because now there isn't a chance of you guys happening. Or, did you guys hang out a lot before you moved? She might be missing the you & her time like you guys used to have. And now that someone else is in the picture, it's taking the small time that she has with you away.

My advice is to confront her about it. Get to the bottom of why it's bothering her. If it's something about how you guys don't hang out enough or something like that, maybe you guys can work out a schedule where you can visit each other/webcam/talk on the phone/etc. without your girlfriend or her boyfriend around. Just you and her time.

Anyways,
Best of luck! And I hope things are able to get better between you and your friend.
<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
mano95 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Best friend vs girlfriend? - July 23rd 2011, 03:30 PM

I've never dated anyone before, so I had a lot of time to spend with my best friend before I moved. A lot of the time, she was with her boyfriend, or some of her other friends, leaving me home a lot. I don't think she's jealous because she wants to date me, she's straight and she loves her boyfriend.

I can try that. I just wish she would understand that I need to spend some time with my girlfriend, because I'm only visiting for a few weeks, and I can't see her every day. It's not even most days.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: Best friend vs girlfriend? - July 23rd 2011, 04:00 PM

I went through something similar to this and when push came to shove it came down to my best friend simply missing me. She didn't like that I had grown so distant and she didn't like feeling replaced. I used to tell her everything and go to her when I needed a day to hang out but now I go to my girlfriend. I understand that you spent a lot of time with her but remember that she misses you because you moved away and she's probably still adjusting. Before you came to visit her she probably had some things in mind of how it would go and now you're visiting your girlfriend as well and she may be hurt. Just keep reassuring your friend of how much her friendship means to her and let her know that you will always be there for her when push comes to shove. The more you reassure her of that the less left out and hurt she will feel when you choose to spend some time with your girlfriend over her. Good luck!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
mano95 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Best friend vs girlfriend? - July 23rd 2011, 07:11 PM

semiunbalanced: I will try that as well. I hope things can go back to normal between us, because I hate that she keeps asking if I like my girlfriend more or she tells my sisters that I would rather hang out with my girlfriend than her or them.

Closed Thread