TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KaoEd-Ran Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ran

What are your thoughts on this? - July 23rd 2011, 05:50 PM

so i have been having a busy week compared to my normal life, spent two days straight making a costume for a convention and havn't had much time at all to myself. my mum asked me to clean my room not long ago and i simply havn't had two or three hours to spend clearing EVERYTHING in my room.
so my dad decides to inspect my room while i'm out helping my ballet teacher teach the classes (which still hasn't been acknowledged, considering the fact i practically taught one of the classes and im only 13.)

so after i come home my dad calls me downstairs and tells me im grounded from everything until it is spotless. including my ballet and the convention, which i have been waiting for six months and the costume is almost finished. so i tell him (not entirely truthfully, i just wanted to leave) that his punishment was fair and that i didn't listen to him earlier. after i walk rather briskly to my room i allow myself ten minutes of making puddles of tears on the floor and singing sad songs to myself, a slightly evil idea strikes me. what if i act chirpy and happy as if nothing happened to annoy him, silently make my room completely spotless as soon as possible and be able to go to the convention? i mean i spent money on the costume and time saving up money to take to the convention, i cant just be grounded.

im actually pretty happy with my emotional strength right now (vain, i know) as usually in this situation, i would be crying for a full hour, be tearful for the rest of the day and possibly give my dad the finger from the safety of my room. although im worrying that by being happy and hyper with my family, they might get annoyed with me or the fact that im choosing to be all happy is evil in itself..

what are your thoughts of this situation? do you think being grounded for not tidying my room is harsh? the only other time i have been grounded was when i slapped some idiot when i was eight and my dad thought it was hilarious (but still grounded me on principle)

thanks for reading~!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: What are your thoughts on this? - July 23rd 2011, 06:11 PM

No, I don't think it's harsh. In fact, it's an entirely appropriate punishment. As a member of your family, you're expected to carry out certain tasks, whether it be washing the dishes after your parents have cooked a meal, or cleaning up your room so your parents' house is presentable. You knew full well that you needed to clean your room, but instead of making time for it, you chose to do more enjoyable tasks. Well, now it's come back to bite you in the butt, and all you can really do is admit you screwed up and clean your room. I think you need to "suck it up" and just work on what needs to be done - there's no need to put on an overly happy face or dissolve into tears, because neither is going to help you in completing the task (and frankly, if you spend less time thinking about how unjust the punishment is and more time sorting through things in your room, you can resolve this situation more quickly).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: What are your thoughts on this? - July 24th 2011, 06:40 PM

Although only being asked once and getting something of a harsh punishment isn't fun, I do think that it is important to keep your room clean. I would recomend just cleaning up and getting done with it. I mean it should only take and hour if you work quickly. Just suck it up, do nothing for an hour but clean and then go to the convention. I doubt they expect it to be perfect, but I do think they want it presentable.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#4 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: What are your thoughts on this? - July 24th 2011, 07:41 PM

It is true that as a member of your house you're expected to do certain things to keep the place neat and tidy but it's also a safety issue (believe it or not). My mom always told me that my room should be kept clean in case of a fire or a power outage. Since I'm OCD it's always clean anyway but I find it very useful when the power is out and I can't see anything because I can just walk to my room safely. If there were ever a fire I would be able to exit quickly and find the important stuff to try to save. I don't think it's a harsh punishment because he's trying to teach you how important it is to keep your room clean. Not to mention, it's less stressful to have a clean room.

I think it's a great idea to accept the punishment and go about your day with a positive attitude. He will be more willing to let you go to the convention if you stay positive about it and do what you are asked. I can't tell you how many times I've landed in the situation where even if I did what I was asked I still couldn't go do something else because of the attitude I had while doing it. xP Oops. If this convention really means a lot to you (which it seems to be the case) clean your room and continue to be excited about the convention. [: I don't see it as evil at all.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: What are your thoughts on this? - July 24th 2011, 09:57 PM

semiunbalanced: Good point to add. I actually forgot about the fire hazard thing. I just got in the habit of cleaning my room out of fear of burning alive I actually forgot what inspired me to keep it clean 24/7.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

Closed Thread