TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
grae96 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Grae

Question Did I do the right thing? - July 24th 2011, 10:13 PM

I moved out 5months ago well out of my mom cause she is a drug addict and she beat me...but she is telling my cousins who worship me not to talk to me and that I've hurt a lot of people I live with my dad now and he is an alcoholic and ignores me and I I don't know if I made the right choice or not. I just need an answer...
  Send a message via Skype™ to grae96 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Did I do the right thing? - July 27th 2011, 06:21 PM

Neither situation is ideal, Grae. One involves a drug-addicted mother, and the other involves an alcoholic father. Both parents are guilty of child neglect. To be honest, I don't think the "right" choice was to trade one crappy situation for another crappy situation. I think the "right" choice is to contact Child Protective Services and either force your parents to get help, or have yourself removed from both homes until they can clean up their act.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
grae96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Did I do the right thing? - July 30th 2011, 01:28 AM

We have it didn't work. They didn't investigate, one more year and I'll apply for emancipation
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Did I do the right thing? - July 30th 2011, 09:38 AM

You've gone from a crappy situation to a new crappy situation, I don't think there's any right choice in that. I'm not sure why CPS wouldn't investigate if there's evidence both parents are unfit due to intoxication (and drug addiction) along with child physical abuse. Although it would be temporary, could you stay with a friend or other family member? If you're lucky and have great people it could be a permanent resolution but CPS should still be called. Perhaps with other people verifying your claims CPS would investigate.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
grae96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Did I do the right thing? - July 30th 2011, 02:05 PM

-shrug- its almost pointless, 3more years, Cps is pointless, living is pointless, so I just suffer.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Did I do the right thing? - July 30th 2011, 09:41 PM

The only problem with CPS is that there are good and bad people who work there. That's how it is in every government agency: there are good and bad social workers, good and bad cops, good and bad politicians. I know it can be incredibly discouraging when you turn to people who are supposed to look out for your best interests, and they let you down due to incompetency or sheer laziness... but I want to reassure you that there ARE people with CPS, and there ARE people with your local police department, who are able and willing to help you out. If you have proof that your parents are addicted to drugs and alcohol, and are therefore unable to provide for your needs, you CAN have yourself removed from their households. You may need to call CPS several times and ask for a different social worker each time, but eventually, you're going to find someone who cares and can help you out.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
grae96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Did I do the right thing? - July 31st 2011, 02:11 AM

Wont work stepmom takes care of me.
Closed Thread