TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nitro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

My dad doesn't understand that I miss my friends? - August 4th 2011, 06:48 AM

I live with my mother overseas and I visit my dad every Summer and Winter Vacation. When I'm away from him I speak on Skype with him almost daily for an hour or so...

Last year was very hard for me, I dropped out of school and I moved to my dad's place for that year with my mom, I had no friends and I basically stayed home a whole year. Then I moved back and school started and my life got so much better! I've never had so many friends I really cared about.

I like it so much that this year I came to visit my dad almost a month late (July 15 instead of June 20)so I could enjoy some of the vacations with them and after ~4 weeks of being away from them and barely talking on Skype/Facebook I really miss them, so much that I'm depressed about it, I have no friends here and my dad just started working so I only see him a few hours a day during weekdays.
I feel no point of being here anymore, my parents want me to stay till Sept 8 when I would like to leave on Aug. 20, another 3 weeks on top + loosing all my vacation is too much, I feel like I want to stop living this days.

I just want to do all the things I've got to do here and leave, but my dad just thinks it's some sort of craze he wants me to find some sort of month-long hobby when I actually need my friends

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: My dad doesn't understand that I miss my friends? - August 4th 2011, 05:35 PM

then why not you explain to him about your feelings? get the message through.

we're only young once, so while we're at it... make some memories with your crazy mates. smile in a manner in which you will laugh and be happy about when those pictures later grace your walls when the years go by .

be happy!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nitro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My dad doesn't understand that I miss my friends? - August 4th 2011, 06:03 PM

Well, you can look at it that way or more like "You should stay with your parents before you grow up too much"
And I really love my dad, but I only do something with him during the weekends.

My mother is being selfish and she wants to stay here too till September because she like it more here, but I'm basically fighting with her about anything.

I don't understand what's the big deal about some weeks more or less, I and probably my mother can't wait for me to be 18 so she can be wherever she wants and I can Travel alone.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: My dad doesn't understand that I miss my friends? - August 4th 2011, 06:40 PM

i guess everyone has their points of views. why not talk it out with them. that way, you can probably come to a solution that makes everyone happy. Im sure they understand your feelings as well.

stay strong!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My dad doesn't understand that I miss my friends? - August 4th 2011, 06:55 PM

I'm sure your dad wants to make the most of his time with you. Unfortunately, not everyone can take a month off from work in order to be with their children 24/7. In my opinion, there ARE things you can do in a month to keep yourself preoccupied when your dad has to work. My city has a website that lists upcoming events, free classes, etc. so I generally check that out for ideas. I've been going to the library whenever I can to check out books, and I've also been getting plugged in to a local church (not sure if you're religious, but if you are, that's always an option). There are also free classes offered at a nearby recreational center... haven't tried any of those yet, but your city probably offers a few that might be of interest to you. There are also hobbies you can take up now and continue when you return home... arts and crafts or whatever you're interested in. =) You could start making a scrapbook of your friends and keep adding to it when you return home and start the new school year!

Basically, I understand where you're coming from, and it sucks to be apart from your friends... but your dad wants to spend time with you, too, and he only gets to see you for a short while each year. It sucks that you're left to your own devices for most of the day due to his work schedule, but you CAN keep yourself busy (and therefore take your mind off of how miserable you are) for the next month. =) Having an excuse for getting out of the house every day could also reduce the amount of time you spend arguing with your mom, haha.

Closed Thread