TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dcowboys107 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Studying abroad - March 15th 2009, 06:21 PM

This summer I'm living with a Spanish family for a good part of the summer. I keep in touch with the kids and and family, so I feel like I know them, etc. But I know when I get there it will be "different." We will all need time to get used to each other and coexist with someone of a different background and culture. What can I do to make it a smooth transition? I speak Spanish well so language won't be an issue. I just don't want to appear all nervous and uncomfortable with them because I'm so lucky and excited to be with them.

This summer will be one to remember forever, and I want it to be seamless and easy for everyone. I'd appreciate any adive.

Another "fear" I have is not mixing in. I speak the language but I don't want to be an eyesore or a "typical" American that gets laughed at. I feel pretty global but what you feel and how you are percieved is different. How do I deal with this? Also, what should I do to be tolerant and understanding of them?

I know this is a lot of stuff, but I'm really eagar to be there!

Thanks!
-Nicholas

(#2 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Studying abroad - March 16th 2009, 09:32 PM

I'm really shy so I can't say much really! But I suppose to try and mix in you could show an interest in their culture, try all their foods and not eat chips all the time or anything But getting along with the children will be a big step to getting along with the parents. I'm sure they'll all be lovely. You're braver than I am!

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Clover Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Studying abroad - March 18th 2009, 01:38 AM

No te preocupes. You will be fine. Trust me, knowing the language is a huge help. I spent six weeks in Japan and only had a very basic knowledge of the language. It was definitely tough but I got by. You already have spoken to the family and say you feel like you know them so that's another advantage that I didn't have. You will inevitably be looked at differently because you're a foreigner, but try not to let it affect you too much. Use it as an opportunity to teach people about your culture as well as learning their culture. Spend as much time as you can with your host family, but don't be afraid to take some alone time when you need it. If you don't want to look like a tourist or "typical American" then just don't act like one. It might take a bit of time to adjust but you will get the feel of it before you know it. You could even make it a bit of a personal game to surprise people with your fabulous language skills. :P Also, keep a journal. You will definitely want to look back on it down the line.

Buena suerte y si tengas otras preguntas, mándame un PM. ^_^

“It’s better to lose some of the battles in the struggle for your dreams than to be defeated without ever even knowing what you’re fighting for.” ~Paulo Coelho

わすれないでひとりじゃないよ。

Closed Thread