TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Helper Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Edwin

Why did I bother? - August 23rd 2011, 02:50 PM

I like to write short stories a lot, and people who read them always tell me I'm a really talented writer. Some have even suggested I look into getting my work published. Well now I have. I had a novelette published on Amazon. I announced it on my Facebook like 2 or 3 times. First time is when I found out it was going to be published. I announced it both on my actual Facebook and my fan page. And then again when it was released on Amazon, both on my Facebook and fan page. So I guess that accounts as like, 4 times. But no one cared. I got no messages, comments, likes, nothing. What the fuck? Why did I bother if no one actually cared? Did anybody actually mean it when they said I write well? It doesn't seem like it. Wouldn't they be more ecstatic about it? I mean I don't write just to please others. I write mostly for myself, because I enjoy it. But I also enjoy sharing it with others, and hearing their feedback. I guess this doesn't mean I'll give up on writing, but give up on getting it out there. I mean, if no one cares, why bother going through the trouble of getting it published?

I guess this is what I get for not being "popular". No one cares what the shy kid does.

What you don't see with your eyes, don't witness with your mouth
  Send a message via AIM to Helper  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
It's Killing Me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kavitha

Re: Why did I bother? - August 25th 2011, 08:23 AM

Hey,

We are interested!!!! Why don't you post the link on here. I am pretty sure many (including me) would love to read. So just post the link on here.

And you said that you mostly write for yourself and not to please others. So don't let this thing get you down. Keep on publishing and I am pretty sure you'll have many readers.

I am waiting for the link. So do it fast.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Helper Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Edwin

Re: Why did I bother? - August 26th 2011, 12:32 AM

Alright, here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-from-t...4318721&sr=1-1

What you don't see with your eyes, don't witness with your mouth
  Send a message via AIM to Helper  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Haruhi Offline
Kpop Fan ~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jorddii

Re: Why did I bother? - August 28th 2011, 06:50 PM

Your book sounds so interesting ~ It's on my christmas list, sounds really scary!

Anyways, forget them, this is about you! You're doing something you love and that you're good at, if they don't want to know then it's their loss, they're the ones missing out!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Why did I bother? - August 28th 2011, 08:53 PM

Hey there, I can understand how frustrating this can be for you. I mean, even though you totally love writing, you also worked really hard to get work published, and now it seems like no one cares. Getting your book out there, and your book known can be really really difficult. But you have to keep advertising and talking about it. If you only say it once or twice, then people aren't really going to be inclined to look. you have to keep posting and talking about it. Pretty soon people are going to realize that it means a lot to you, and they'll read it. Another thing you can do is maybe talk to local bookstores, and see if they can sell your book. Also, give your book out for Christmas presents (If you celebrate Christmas). Either way, don't give up! You're a brand, brand new author. I'm sure a lot of other authors face that hardship.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Why did I bother? - August 29th 2011, 07:14 PM

One issue people face with your book, myself included, is it hasn't yet been reviewed and as an author, you aren't well-known. It's nice your book has been published but if others have no chance to view it, how can you expect them to say, "Wow! Edwin, that was an amazing book!" or "It wasn't for me Edwin"? You're also assuming a lack of responses means nobody cares. If I were on your FaceBook, I wouldn't respond immediately because I'd want to read at least part of it before I gave any comment. If I gave a comment of, "good job, you got it published!", would that mean anything to you, or would you rather want a comment of, "amazing book Edwin, keep publishing!". I'd imagine you'd like the second comment more but it's not feasible unless people read at least part of it.

However, you already answered your own question: you said you write for yourself since you enjoy it, not for others. Even if you got shit reviews and were told to never publish again for the sake of humanity, who cares, keep writing and tell them to go fuck themselves with a rusty fork.

This leads me to being a bit confused. You state you write for yourself, yet you're frustrated that none of your friends complimented you. Whether they benefit from your book or not doesn't matter, so why are you frustrated about it?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Why did I bother? - August 30th 2011, 01:28 AM

Hey Edwin!!

The key to your issue is actually in something that you said. You write because you love to write. I'm the same way. I write music and poems because it's something that I truly enjoy doing. Some of it is good, some of it is bad. But it gives me something to do that makes me happy. If writing novels makes you happy, then don't pay attention to what anyone else says. Of course it would be great to have your work recognized and praised. But when you stop focusing on that, you'll feel much better.

I'm actually really interested in your book. I'm gonna check it out and see if I can get my parents to let me use their credit card and buy it. Seriously though, congratulations on getting it published. That's huge! Good luck with everything in your future writing career.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread