TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thirdeye12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Dad has issues with agnosticism - August 27th 2011, 07:26 PM

I've recently started identifying myself as agnostic. I used to be a die hard Christian, but recently I've been kind of skeptical of religion in general. I have many legitimate reasons to disagree with my religious training.

Ironically enough, I am somewhat the reason that my parents (my dad more so than my mom) became more religious. I'm involved with music at church and I don't plan on abandoning that because I love music. Regardless of the message, it's fun and gives me a chance to play. I have friends at church as well.

That all being said, I have talked to my mom before about my issues with religion and we share some of the same opinions about it. However, I haven't talked to my dad about it before today.

What happened today? Well, I got into a religious discussion with my parents somehow. I stated some of my rebuttals and casually mentioned that I consider myself to be agnostic. I explained to them what agnosticism is all about. My dad's response to me was that "it's normal for me to question religion at my age" and while this may be true, that statement sounds to me like he doesn't think that I can make a choice like that at this point in life or something. Maybe I'm wrong, you tell me, but that kind of set me off. Then, he told me that I "just need to go on faith with some things" and that I "think too much sometimes". The statement about overthinking is valid - I do tend to overthink things, but I can't really help it. Anyway, I don't want to just go on faith. I don't want to blindly follow some "god". But he doesn't seem to understand that.

I'm getting the impression that he doesn't really approve of my choice, or that he doesn't really like me being agnostic. Please help me because this is really bothering me. I'm both upset and annoyed about this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SnapCracklePop Offline
After all this time? Always <3
Not a n00b

Name: Annie

Re: Dad has issues with agnosticism - August 28th 2011, 08:39 PM

Hi
It's normal to question things like religion. And I think you're dad's right in saying that it's normal 'at your age'. But that doesn't mean your view are any less valid.
My dad's actually the opposite, he's very sceptical at any mention of religion. I used to go to a church youth club type thing, and although I don't consider myself religious I loved it. He hated the idea.
At the end of the day, you may have different opinions about religion. Give yourself time to work out how you feel for yourself, because you talk about it with your dad. Because what you think is up to you.
If you do decide you're not as religious as him, that's fine as long as you can respect each other's opinions.

"Everytime you smile, I smile
And everytime you shine, I'll shine for you."
~Taylor Swift

PM me anytime, Love Annie

Closed Thread