TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
angrybear Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Stressed, Depressed because of family - August 29th 2011, 06:17 AM

Is it bad that I hate my parents and can't wait to move out? They are very stressed out people who complain EVERY SINGLE DAY about their jobs, the government, basically about EVERYTHING. They transfer all their stress onto me and my brother, badgering us for NO REASON AT ALL. I will be in a happy mood until my parents arive and they start f*cking yelling at each other. I went to a few different doctors and I was told that I have a lot of emotional distress which may be bad for my overall health, which I believe is true. The stress I get from simply living with them has affected my performance at work, school, and as a person - I'm more easily irritated, I've become more aggresive, I have a much shorter fuse, I've become more close minded, I even get tense in my neck, and I had an eye twitch which is apparently due to stress/lack of sleep. I would often get irritated just by talking to my family (even when they were being nice to me) and snap out at them, and recently I have even started snapping out at my friends or getting angry with them. I feel like I'm loosing control and the stress is taking over. Honestly, is it a bad thing that I'd rather not see my parents on a regular basis. I don't think I could live with seeing them more than once or twice a year. If I moved out right now I would probably feel like a huge brick was lifted off my chest, I would probably be able to think more clearly and not have all this negative, emotional stress clouding my judgement and reducing my ability to do anything.

Every single day I end up having an argument, or even just hearing my parents yell and bitch, which makes me stressed. I can literally feel the stress inside me, it's really bad. Should I see a doctor maybe, I know that everyone has stress in their lives, but for me it feels like it's affecting me a lot more than other people. And to be honest I really don't know how to cope with it, besides ignoring my parents completely, which isn't easy when they live with you and are constantly around you and asking you to "be part of the family", etc. Please, what the hell do I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SnapCracklePop Offline
After all this time? Always <3
Not a n00b

Name: Annie

Re: Stressed, Depressed because of family - August 29th 2011, 05:14 PM

From what you've said about your parents, it's totally understandable that you want to move out.
How soon until you can move out? I think you should try taking a break with some friends or other relatives, if that's possible. Even if it was just for a little while, I think it would help you.
For now, there are some stress relieving things that you could try.
If you feel overwhelmed, go for a walk or a run outside. Even some exercises indoors, that would help.
Rant to someone, or write it all down on a piece of paper and rip it up.
Watch a film that makes you laugh.
Do something you love, like drawing, music or a sport.
Listen to music.

Hope that helped. <3

"Everytime you smile, I smile
And everytime you shine, I'll shine for you."
~Taylor Swift

PM me anytime, Love Annie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
The Scrabbler Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Evan

Re: Stressed, Depressed because of family - September 6th 2011, 03:12 PM

Have you tried talking to your parents about this? They would probably be willing to make an effort to curtail their arguments in front of you if they knew how you feel about it. You just need to be open and honest with them.

I acknowledge that sometimes things just won't work, which is why I no longer live with my dad and stepmother. There are situations where moving out is the best situation. If you aren't financially able to live on your own, try to find someone who could let you rent a room. I'm renting a room from a coworker, and it's working out well. It's not that expensive, and I don't have to be alone all of the time.
  Send a message via Skype™ to The Scrabbler 
Closed Thread