TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kristen15 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Huge fight with parents, advice please - September 10th 2011, 02:03 AM

For the past year or so, I have begun getting in huge fights with my parents. Around every time I would get my period, I become extremely depressed, can't concentrate, feel like crying all the time, don't sleep normally, don't want to eat and don't act like myself at school. I especially overreact. I have always been a person that doesn't like taking "no" as an answer, but it becomes even worse when around my period.

My parents are really strict about drinking at parties, and they found out that I get drunk at the parties that I go to. This always results in fights and the biggest fight we ever had broke out last night.

I wanted to go to a party and told my parents that I was just going to sleep over my friends house, so that I wouldn't have to deal with the lecture of drinking and parties. When they said no, I emotionally admitted that there was a party. My mom started cursing and yelling at me, for she gets really into fights. Due to the fact that it was the night before my period, I just broke down. I ran out of the house and into the street and came back after an hour. As I came back in, my parents continued to yell at me for lying about the party and not getting into an AP course at my school. I'll admit that I get really mean when I get into fights with them and tell them I hate them and hope hope they died so I wouldn't have to deal with them. Of course I don't mean it, but it always comes out when I yell with them. This time I felt so depressed and angry about the situation that i broke the screen of my window and tried to run out of it. My sister and dad had to pry me away from it.

Even after the whole incident the previous night, my parents won't recognize how I'm feeling and just think I have anger issues. I really think that I have PMDD and want to go to my doctor to get diagnosed for it.

Have you guys ever had anything like this? Any advice would be so appreciative

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Huge fight with parents, advice please - September 11th 2011, 02:07 PM

Hi Kristen,

Welcome to TeenHelp. You know, I think there's a mutual trust that has to happen between you and your parents before they'll allow you to go out to these sorts of things. Most likely, they'd have to trust that, when you went to these parties, you'd be responsible enough to not get drunk. To be honest, I'd be more concerned if they found out you were going out and getting drunk and DIDN'T get angry. Personally, I see it as a parental responsibility to see to it that your child is following the law and being safe, and if this means not going out/getting drunk, I can see why they'd be upset. So, while I know this isn't what you want to hear, I have to say that I can see where your parents are coming from. And if you think about the situation and put yourself in their shoes, I'm sure you can as well - right?

On the other hand, I'm never really a big fan of when parents curse at their children when they get into arguments. I don't really find it to be appropriate, but I guess it happens. So, on that note, perhaps you and your parents could really BOTH work on your communication skills in this sort of situation (IE: they shouldn't be cursing at you//no one should be saying they hate the other person//etc). If you guys are able to control yourselves in disagreements, I think you'll find that the situations will be resolved much more quickly and effectively.

Regardless of whether you have anger issues, PMDD, or whatever (and do remember that hormones are a bit more 'raging' than usual while you're on your period), I don't think speaking to a therapist/counselor would be a bad idea. Do you have a guidance office at your school? If so, I highly recommend that you start there. Not only can this person offer you resources for taking the next step, but they can ALSO offer you a listening ear. And the guidance counselor IS a trained professional himself or herself, so I do think this could be quite a useful resource to you, Kristen.

I'm going to move this thread to Friends and Family, as I do think that your relationship with your parents is at the heart of this thread. If you or anyone disagrees, please feel free to Private Message me.

I wish you all the best, Kristen!

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
Closed Thread