TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

I don't like people my own age... - October 18th 2011, 06:47 PM

So the people I get along best with are older than me. Like 5 - 10 years older. One of the people I'm closest to is 57. So yeah,

I just don't really like people my age. I mean there are people that I spend time with in school, but I'm not really friends with them. The friends that I like that are my age are in my orchestra, and we only see each other once a week, and sometimes at the weekends, because we live too far away from each other to meet up after school.

It's just people my age, in my school, I don't like them! I try to get on with them, but I'm (not being big-headed) much more mature than them. The people in orchestra I'm friends with are my level of maturity, but they're just so nice that I'm worried they'll realise what a bitch I am, and they won't like me anymore.

I'm at orchestra from 4pm - 8.30pm, for various groups (because I help at the younger groups from 4pm - 5.30pm.) There's a gap between the young and old groups, from 5.30pm - 6pm, and although there are a couple of people my age around, I'd rather spend time with the teachers, because I feel closer to them in maturity. But at the same time, I'm really really worried that I'm bothering them. It's their break too, and they don't want a stupid 15 year old girl loitering around them. But I would genuinely consider them my friends, but it's stupid because I know I'm just a student to them.

This has turned into a bit of a rant, sorry. I guess I just need advice? I don't want to waste my teenage years without much social interaction at all. Don't say to join groups, because I've tried drama, and nobody liked me there haha, and I go to the gym, but that's not really social, and I go to orchestra, which is the highlight of my week. I'm a sad, lonely person. I spend too much time on my computer, and I haven't got a social life.

Rawr.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: I don't like people my own age... - October 18th 2011, 07:40 PM

I think I know what you mean. In my first year at university I felt like I was caged in with idiots. They acted like they never drunk before in their life most of them. Perhaps they didn't, it's irrelevant anyway. It was madness. No way to get round it really... not from my experience lol... what? Drink and puke? And post it on facebook? lol... I'm using only one example.

You'll come across other people with whoom you share more in common, gradually, and they'l add up over time. For me, knowing I even have one person like this is usually enough to get me through the day. They may be slightly older than you, or even a lot older, but I'm sure with maturity you're able to tell if they find your presence a nuisance, or if they actually like your company.

I kind of have the feeling also that if someone older dismisses you simply because you're 15, they might not be very mature or intelligent themselves. I understand though if they want to go to the pub or a nightclub or something, they obviously don't want to tug a 15 year old around with them, but otherwise there'd be little reason to 'outcast' you.

Sry if my advice appears messy. I'm kinda ill and tired at the moment. :/

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheQuietGirl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Abigail

Re: I don't like people my own age... - October 18th 2011, 08:41 PM

I know what you mean. I'm 14, and so many of the kids my age just drive me mad. I'm interested in music, horses, physics, my future, moving back to England. What are they interested in? Relationships, sex, partying, drinking. Yep. At 14 years.
Like you, I myself find myself hanging out with them, but I don't seem to be enjoying it. Especially when sex comes up. I actually get mad when they bring it up. I love older people. They have so much to share and are so mature about everything. One of my bestfriends is the First Grade teacher at my school, and she's 29. I always talk to my 60+ year old physics teacher, etc.

Maybe there is **somebody** in your grade on the same level with you. Can you join more clubs of your interest to get to know people? Maybe try something new to see who you meet and if you enjoy whatever you're trying?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I have a concussion However I reallly do hope I helped!

Closed Thread