TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ChrisMcKinney17 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation What should I do. - October 18th 2011, 11:21 PM

my friend gave me his laptop. 3 Weeks later he wants it back as his mom got rid of his new one because he bought it with his grandpa's money and his grandpa didnt care. His mother did. Now my friend says i should give his laptop back. Should I. I originally wanted to buy it off of him but he gave it to me for free and got a new one. His sister has one and if he needs it for school like I need mine then shouldnt he be able to use hers.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: What should I do. - October 19th 2011, 03:10 AM

Welcome to TeenHelp! =)

Here's how I see it:

Original Plan - Your friend would have used his old laptop for school, and you would have bought/obtained one for school as well.

New Plan - Your friend bought a new laptop, and since you still needed one, he gave you his old laptop.

Unfortunately, the new plan didn't work out. As a result, your friend needs to go back to the original plan. I can understand why you might be upset. After all, this was a gift, and friends don't take gifts back! Keep in mind, however, that your friend was assuming he wouldn't need the old laptop. Now he does. It wasn't something he could have anticipated, and while it sucks, I think you should give back his old laptop and find one for yourself. It's not really a "loss" on your part, since you would've needed to buy/obtain a laptop as part of the original plan anyway. The whole "can't he use his sister's laptop?" argument is moot, because your friend was always assuming he would have his own laptop regardless of the plan. The point is, your friend's gift was given based on certain assumptions. Now that those assumptions have been proven wrong, you both need to go back to the original plan.

(I mean, you COULD keep his laptop... but you would basically be trading your friendship for a laptop, and I have a feeling you don't want to do that.)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: What should I do. - October 19th 2011, 04:31 AM

As much as it sucks, i think you should give the lap top back. When he originally gave it to you, he was under the impression that he would never need it again. He gave it to you for free, so it'd be nice if you gave it back. If you paid for it, then it'd be a different story. Really though, it's up to you. You can choose to keep the lap top, but risk your friendship. Or you can give it back, keep the friendship, and save up for your own lap top. You may need one for school, but there are other ways of getting computer access. I'm sorry youre having to deal with this. I know it doesn't seem fair, but you being the bigger person in this situation will get you further in the long run. Take care <3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread