TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

All my mom does is yell. - March 22nd 2009, 03:46 AM

It's so darn annoying, when you already have a headache and then everyone around your house is always getting in a fight. Basically, my mom really has anger management problems or something, and they get way out of control. Small things really piss her off, and she starts yelling, to the point where I just can't take it, and it really stresses me out. For example, last night she got angry with me for such and such reason, and she started slapping me around and screaming at me, calling me a bitch and stuff. She tells me stuff like, "I wish you would just kill yourself, Amanda," but then the next morning she apologizes, but then she'll do it all over again. I don't know how to talk to her, it doesn't change anything. She's always pissed at me, and it makes me feel like shit. I don't want to blame her for a lot of my problems or anything, but it would lift a lot of pressure off of my shoulders if she wasn't so angry as often, you know? I just kind of don't know what to do about all of this, it's so hard to live here sometimes...

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tecatholic Offline
Average Joe

Re: All my mom does is yell. - March 22nd 2009, 04:05 AM

Hey
Im kind of in the same boat as you. My mom does the same thing to me. I just try and ignore her. She eventually stops.

Send a message via MSN to Tecatholic Send a message via Yahoo to Tecatholic Send a message via Skype™ to Tecatholic 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
shshshannon! Offline
BAMF.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shannon

Re: All my mom does is yell. - March 24th 2009, 06:39 AM

Wow, I know exactly how you feel. My Dad is the same way (except he's a drunk). He drinks constantly, yells for stupid things, then hits me. Luckily he works six weeks at a time out of town, so I don't have to deal with it as much.

I'm sorry you're going through the same thing, I know getting through to parents isn't always the easiest thing. Sometimes parents just take their anger out on their family and it's not fair. There's probably something she's stressed out about that has nothing to do with you but she still tries to find SOMETHING to vent out on you for to kind of relieve that stress. I know I do that to my sister a lot and I don't mean to.

Just hang in there and you'll be home free some day!
In the mean time, do whatever it takes to make her understand exactly how you feel. It may take a while, but the more effort put into it, the more likely you'll get through to her.
  Send a message via MSN to shshshannon!  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Venitia Offline
Stand up, be a man about it.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: All my mom does is yell. - March 24th 2009, 01:15 PM

My mother is the same way, but she drinks and abuses prescription medications and all of that interesting stuff.
She'd scream and yell and knock me around and then apologize the next day and hold me and cry and say she never meant it and it'd start all over.

Like Tecatholic says, just try your hardest to ignore it. It'll be tough, but she'll get bored of it eventually.
Have you tried talking to her about it? Told her how much it bothers you? If that doesn't work, maybe you should tell a school counselor.

shshshannon is right, too. The more effort you apply to it the better off you'll be- and you're just getting closer to being home free. Remember that.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU HUN! <3
  Send a message via AIM to Venitia Send a message via MSN to Venitia Send a message via Skype™ to Venitia 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: All my mom does is yell. - March 25th 2009, 12:35 AM

I'm sorry your mum is like this, Amanda, it sounds like its horrible for you. Is there any way you could talk to your dad or another family member about how she makes you feel? Perhaps then they could bring the subject up with her. If you've already tried talking to her with no success, maybe try again? Just make it as clear as you can how it makes you feel. Don't get mad at her, just be honest and say how terrible it is for you when all she does is scream at you. Have you thought about writing her a letter? Sometimes people take things more seriously if they actually have it written down, then she can read over it in her own time and take in what you're trying to say.

I hope you can work through this problem with her Amanda, and i really do sympathise with you. Although, i'm lucky in that my parents are pretty laid back and don't shout at me, i can understand how hard it must be for you. Take care. x

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: All my mom does is yell. - March 25th 2009, 12:37 AM

If she's doesn't listen to you, there's nothing you can do.

That's one reason I moved out the night of my birthday and haven't been back. My mom yelled all the time. Just try and stay out of her way.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
Closed Thread