TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cindy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Grade maniac mom - October 26th 2011, 12:42 AM

My mom is driving me crazy! Last year, my grades in precal were quite low because I did not take a sufficient enough Algebra 2 summer school class (I was trying to go ahead). I can understand why she was frustrated with me, but i brought it up at the end of the year, and promised her that i would maintain an A in 11th grade. So far, I have, and she still doesn't seem satisfied by what i have achieved. For me, getting an A in math is pretty hard, since i hate the subject. However, I tried to hard, and she doesn't even say a word of good job. Instead, she comments that I am not going to SAT practice in the weekends, my friends have been doing it for so long. I am not going to get a good enough score, and blah, even though I went to Testmasters, and got an1800 the first try. It seems that whatever things I do better than my friends, she ignores and takes for granted, and whatever i don't do that my friends do make me seem falling behind and a slacker. These days she does nothing but argue with me. One time, I tried to talk it out with her, tried to point out that there are some extracurricular activities that I am doing that my friends are not doing, but then she just yells at me,, saying that I should be comparing myself to the people who have "higher standards" rather than focus on what they are not doing that i am doing. I seriously want to yell at her everyday, but she would ruin my life if i even tried to oppose her. She takes great offense even to words like "freaking out" and stuff. Help, what should i do? these days it feels like i am about to explode in anger.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Grade maniac mom - October 26th 2011, 12:49 AM

Good grades ARE important, but expecting A's in 11th grade math is really... almost humorous. Some people aren't built for math, and I get that.

As much as you're going to hate hearing this, she does it for your own good. She things that this will make you a better person in the long run. Yes I said it.

She's going about it wrong, she's probably cramping your space, and probably makes you want to slack off even more. Maybe she's beating a dead horse, because you simply cannot do better, or maybe she's just clinically bat-shit crazy. Regardless she is doing this for your own good, and instead of fighting her, ask for her help.

Get you math homework, sit down at the table and ask her to help you understand it. Explain that if she helped you with the tricky questions you could probably do better in class. And I promise you that understanding homework will make your life easier.

If all else fails, try a tutor, or even better, buy a program. I recomend "Teaching Textbooks" you can buy it for any grade from 5-12. It's rather expensive, but it is worth the money if you're desperate, and is cheaper than a tutor.

Best luck, be patient with her, and work with her to solve the problem. If you at least try the methods I recomended she's going to see that you are trying.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Grade maniac mom - October 26th 2011, 05:18 PM

Justin definitely brings up some great points. I'd just like to add to some of it! :]

I think you should talk to your mom. Let her know what a struggle this is for you. Tell her that you would rather have her support, and that that's more motivating for you. She, as your parent, just wants what's best for you. You can't blame her, right? Show to her that you're trying your hardest. Also have her help you with your homework. It shows that you truly want to do well for yourself, and not just for her. And it also shows that your motivated. Unfortunately, there is only so much you can do in this situation. Just keep trying your hardest and talk to her about how you're feeling about all of this.

Take care,
-Lyndsee

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread