TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 12:33 PM

I'm watching a Louis Theroux documentary (Louis and the Nazis) which is depressing me for a number of reasons. Louis asked the one mother how would she react if her daughter had a black boyfriend and she said she would disown her. I hope to God that nobody here feels the same way but, what about your parents? Really, would they care if you dated someone of a different race?

Mine wouldn't at all. My sister's ex boyfriend was Indian and not one of them cared in the slightest. There's no reason to care.

You can watch the documentary here if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTWT8xaCB5A

(Bear in mind it's insanely offensive)

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 01:06 PM

My mum once said jokingly that I could bring home a lazy-eyed, black, albanian, one legged, woman and she'd be fine with it. I think the only thing that would bother her is if I dated someone who was violent or racist.
I'm pretty sure my dad wouldn't mind, he might be a little uncomfortable with it, but to be honest, if that ever happened he could get over it because I don't see any problems with inter racial dating/marriage etc.
I do not understand racism, not one bit. It makes no sense. So what if someone is different? If we were all the same, we'd be boring. also, I think asian guys are cute

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 01:12 PM

I don't even know why someone could be racist :/ I would have to hate a person just because of the colour of their skin? even if they were the nicest person in the world

I am attracted to Asian girls

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
victoriabankson Offline
Average Joe

Name: victoria bankson

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 01:32 PM

unfortunately everyone in my family is a racist aside from me i've been told im only allowed to date white or native American men. i don't judge people by the color of there skin what they wear or anyhtign like that. i cant wait till im 18 i love my family but if i fall in love with some one a different race or color skin they will have to deal with it. and if they decid to disown me so be it. i cant stand when they make raceist jokes or anyhtign it discuss me so much

victoria bankson the person who will always be there for you

they tell me they love me
and yet
they use me then leave me
in an old scary ally
where i have to hide
to stay alive then
on day the new prince will come
and i believe that hes different
but he does the same thing all the rest have done
then comes the boy i've known all my life
he takes me home and teaches me to live
and we end up falling in love
NOW if only i could believe that

Send a message via Yahoo to victoriabankson Send a message via Skype™ to victoriabankson 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 02:02 PM

My parents would probably be surprised (as I have dated all white guys) but they wouldn't care.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 02:14 PM

My Nan is completely racist which is horrible. One of my cousins is engaged to a black guy, he's cool and has amazing hair! She hates it and says it to her face. My mum says she wants me to marry a white british but she would learn to accept someone else. I don't think I'll listen to them, it should be on personality, not race!
Xxx

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 02:16 PM

My dad would care. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he's racist. He denies it but he expresses hate and minority feelings toward the hispanic ehtnicity and towards colored people. **Let me make it clear that I am NOT racist so I would NOT let him affect my choice of guy/girl.** My mom and other family, wouldn't care.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lucille Offline
the Oracle
Not a n00b

Name: Luci

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 02:34 PM

cant see it making any difference to mine, i'm mixed race myself so there not in a position to say anything...

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving....

Never forget your principles

Favorite quote " I was ripped off in Pound Land "

Send a message via MSN to Lucille  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 05:07 PM

My mom is a very open person. So, it's likely she wouldn't care if I dated someone of a different race. In fact, she'd likely be the one to date someone who is a different race..rather than me. Not saying I'm racist. I just mean that I'm mostly attracted to people my race, with the exception of a few others. Nothing against a different race. It's just how I am. Hopefully that came out right

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 08:46 PM

Mine would find it strange... but I dont' think they'd object, or at least vocalise it.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 10:39 PM

Seeing as how I'm racist and my father is even more racist, he would care, although I cant imagine myself dating that kind of person anyway. Although my father is racist toward Blacks (I'm not as much), I have dated and fucked ladies who were Black but my father didn't care because she wasn't the type of Black that he hates. If I put my conscience and beliefs aside and dated an Aboriginal, my father would be pretty pissed, however, there's no way in hell I'd date an Aboriginal Indian [Edited]. Any other race my father nor I would be upset about. My mother isn't racist at all so her concern is my happiness and judging the person by their character. My grandfather is more racist than either of us and if he were younger he'd definitely throw something or shoot at them but in his current state he would just shout at them and demand they leave.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Last edited by PSY; October 28th 2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Potentially offensive comment.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
fullofsecrets Offline
Witness
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kristin

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 10:43 PM

My Dad would definitely care, although I don't think my mom would mind so much.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ashley

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriabankson View Post
unfortunately everyone in my family is a racist aside from me i've been told im only allowed to date white or native American men. i don't judge people by the color of there skin what they wear or anyhtign like that. i cant wait till im 18 i love my family but if i fall in love with some one a different race or color skin they will have to deal with it. and if they decid to disown me so be it. i cant stand when they make raceist jokes or anyhtign it discuss me so much
I am in the same boat. Everyone in my family is racist, I tend to like more black men , but my family only approves of native Americans and whites, from our country. My mom and step dad wouldn't say anything to me face but everyone else would.I don't understand racism either.

When I get older. I want to adopt or have a black, mentally/physically disabled, gay child so my family can learn to accept people that are different. I love everyone unless they give me a legit good reason not too, and I'd have to get to know them personally before I could have that reason.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
victoriabankson Offline
Average Joe

Name: victoria bankson

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyhateslife View Post
I am in the same boat. Everyone in my family is racist, I tend to like more black men , but my family only approves of native Americans and whites, from our country. My mom and step dad wouldn't say anything to me face but everyone else would.I don't understand racism either.

When I get older. I want to adopt or have a black, mentally/physically disabled, gay child so my family can learn to accept people that are different. I love everyone unless they give me a legit good reason not too, and I'd have to get to know them personally before I could have that reason.
amen i so agree

victoria bankson the person who will always be there for you

they tell me they love me
and yet
they use me then leave me
in an old scary ally
where i have to hide
to stay alive then
on day the new prince will come
and i believe that hes different
but he does the same thing all the rest have done
then comes the boy i've known all my life
he takes me home and teaches me to live
and we end up falling in love
NOW if only i could believe that

Send a message via Yahoo to victoriabankson Send a message via Skype™ to victoriabankson 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Average Joe

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 26th 2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe.in.hope View Post
**Let me make it clear that I am NOT racist so I would NOT let him affect my choice of guy/girl.**
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoroso View Post
Not saying I'm racist. I just mean that I'm mostly attracted to people my race, with the exception of a few others. Nothing against a different race. It's just how I am. Hopefully that came out right
Jesus, calm down girls. People are so race sensitive these days.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 27th 2011, 01:23 AM

I would just rather not get yelled at for something I'm not.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 27th 2011, 01:31 AM

I think mixed race babies are adorable, my half-korean nephew and half-chinese nephew are enough to make me want to marry out of my race exclusively. That said, I haven't date outside of my race much... and no matter what I do, when it comes down to my parents, as long as I'm happy and being respected it's all good.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Misslostintears Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Daisy

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 27th 2011, 01:55 AM

My parents won't care. My mom would like it if I find someone with blonde hair and blue eyes though.
My dad on the other hand wants someone that woul live and die for me. They don't care what race or skin or anything

IN MY FIELD OF PAPER FLOWERS AND CANDY CLOUDS OF LULLIBIES, I LIE INSIDE MY SELF FOR HOURS, AND WATCH MY PURPLE SKY FLY OVER ME - IMAGINARY BY EVANESCENCE

to love someone is such a beautiful thing,
Keep it in your heart forever
And show it when you need to

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 27th 2011, 02:03 AM

I don't THINK they would, but I could be wrong. I think as long as he or she treats me right, they won't care.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Would your parents care if you dated someone from a different race? - October 28th 2011, 10:44 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, I think my dad would be fairly upset if I dated outside of my ethnicity. I could say why, but I don't want to offend anyone on TeenHelp, even though we know the stereotypes are wrong. My mom would probably be more lenient, since she teaches English as a second language to immigrant adults.

Closed Thread