TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

I suck at friendships - October 30th 2011, 04:36 PM

I have a tendency to make friends with stuck up people who feel they are super entitled and screw people over to get what they want. They arenít exactly bad people... they just have these giant egos and seem to literally feel like it is in their moral right to do whatever they please.

So... I guess I'm looking for advice on how to make friends. How do I start a new friendship? How do I develop it into a important close friendship?
Most all of my friends have put my worth below theirs and treated me like I suck. So, I was wondering, are all people that mean? Will I never have a close friendship where the other person really cares about me and is nice to me? And doesn't see me as a worthless person because I don't party as much as them? Or because I am not as good at school as them?

http://strigidaeofchrono.deviantart.com/
"Setting boundaries is not a more sophisticated way of manipulation - although some people will say they are setting boundaries, when in fact they are attempting to manipulate. The difference between setting a boundary in a healthy way and manipulating is: when we set a boundary we let go of the outcome."

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am Human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

Colonel Meow

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: I suck at friendships - October 31st 2011, 05:43 PM

My suggestion to you is that you start look for friends that are different from ones you'd normally go for. Branch out a bit. And step out of your comfort zone. Before moving from acquaintance status to friend status, evaluate who the person is. Really decide if this is the type of person you want to call a friend. Really get to know a person. A good way to make friends is by joining a group/club that's of interest to you. You'll be able to get to know people who share the same interests as you. Maybe start striking up a conversation with someone you ordinarily wouldn't. Ask if they want to hang out. Another suggestion, evaluate what you want in a friend. Ans shoot for that on your search for different friends. If they don't really fit what you want in a friend or what you DON'T want in a friend, then keep them at a distance.

Hopefully this helped.
Best of luck to you!

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: I suck at friendships - November 2nd 2011, 05:53 AM

Thank you

http://strigidaeofchrono.deviantart.com/
"Setting boundaries is not a more sophisticated way of manipulation - although some people will say they are setting boundaries, when in fact they are attempting to manipulate. The difference between setting a boundary in a healthy way and manipulating is: when we set a boundary we let go of the outcome."

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am Human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

Colonel Meow

Closed Thread