TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Dad's threatening suicide - November 7th 2011, 08:29 PM

Me and my dad have never had a very close relationship. He and my mom are always fighting, he's an alcoholic and has an extremely complex and difficult personality that I just can't keep up with. He alternates between periods when he has extremely high confidence and self-worth to periods when he seems to hate himself, he's prone to bouts of anger and full-blown rage and even the slightest things can completely tick him off (I don't think he could actually be physically violent against me or my mom). He also seems paranoid - he believes that the goverment has tapped our phones and is reading our emails (which might not be very far from the truth, considering the local laws, the country we're living in and his position here). It has been this way for as long as I can remember and honestly, I'm so used to it, that a friend had to point out that it wasn't normal to me.
Now, here's the part relating to the title - my dad also constantly talks about death and suicide. He frequently mentions how he "should just hang himself" or "finish himself off" because there's no use for him in this world anyway. He also makes comments like he "won't be here for long" and talks about his will, mostly who will get what and what conditions they will have to face to get it. Honestly, he kind of seems to be preparing me for when he's gone and I do believe that he's impulsive and intense enough to actually go through with a plan like that. What do you think? Does it sound like he's just making empty threats to get attention (which I also wouldn't be surprised of), or could these be considered as legitimate threats that I should be really conserned about?
(By the way, this text probably makes him look like a horrible person, but he honestly isn't. I just felt like I had to point this out.)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Dad's threatening suicide - November 7th 2011, 11:32 PM

Hey Coal
No threat of suicide should be taken lightly! This is serious! You should seek help for him and do him a favor. If someone keeps threathning then it's already a seed planted and growing and if that seed grows into a plant then I don't want anything bad to happen to him. I understand that you don't want your dad to sound bad. the truth is the truth. I won't think any less of him trust me nor will anyone else try finding him a counselor or get a counselor/ some professional help to help you out how to deal with this. Also see why your dad is threatening him self maybe you shoul tell him something encouragIng like I love you dad and dad your the best dad in the world! To make him feel good. It works iv tried it with my own dad good job for having the courage to ask that on here and trying to help your dad out that's awsome! Pm me if you want to talk about anything/ anytime I hope everything gets better blessings to you

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dad's threatening suicide - November 8th 2011, 07:13 PM

You're so sweet. And thanks, I'll try to do my best.

Closed Thread