TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

My sister... - November 9th 2011, 06:40 PM

I wasn't sure where to put this so I put it in family. Anyways, my sister has been noticing how much time I spend on TeenHelp and she just looked at me, literally ten minutes ago, and said that she wanted an account like me. What do I do? Should I let her? Would you let your sibling?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: My sister... - November 10th 2011, 11:54 AM

Well, the first thing I would ask is how old is your sister? Is she old enough to handle the content that is discussed on TH and is she old enough to understand cyber-safety etc.?

If the answer is yes, then I see no reason why she shouldn't have an account. If it is an issue of whether you feel comfortable with her seeing what you have written, then you could explain that you don't want her to know what your username is. Personally, I've told only my boyfriend and one close friend what my username is on here. I came to TH because I needed to get things off my chest that I couldn't share with most people in my "real" life, so I would completely understand why you wouldn't want your sister to know your identity here. However, if she feels that she wants or needs to be on TH, then I think letting her have an account would be a great thing for her.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: My sister... - November 10th 2011, 02:07 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention that she's 15 but she's autistic and has learning disabilities where her mentality is like an 8 year old. I mean, I think she could handle being on the site and seeing the "mature" content that's here it's just a matter of her seeing my posts and figuring out who I am and mentioning it to someone else. I think if I talk to her she'd keep quiet if she did find out who I was but it's still nerve wracking, y'know?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: My sister... - November 11th 2011, 03:55 PM

Hmmm, this is a tough call. I would talk to her prior to her making an account. Be honest with her. Tell her that you help people on this site with various issues, and sometimes we give you advice. Fortunately you have the staff forums that are private to her and open to you. There is also all those features on TH that I won't mention because you're staff and should already know about them But any how, I think it'd be fine to let her make an account. But it's up to you

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: My sister... - November 11th 2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow. View Post
Hmmm, this is a tough call. I would talk to her prior to her making an account. Be honest with her. Tell her that you help people on this site with various issues, and sometimes we give you advice. Fortunately you have the staff forums that are private to her and open to you. There is also all those features on TH that I won't mention because you're staff and should already know about them But any how, I think it'd be fine to let her make an account. But it's up to you
That's a valid point. If she brings it up again, I'll let her make an account. She probably won't spend as much time as I do seeing as I'm always on the computer.

Closed Thread