TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
snoogums Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Blue

My 2 year old niece going to a foster family!!! - November 11th 2011, 08:20 PM

My older sister is in her 20's and has a 2 year old daughter named Kendra she is absolutely adorable! I never really got along very good with my sister but well enough to keep in touch and visit sometimes. I really love Kendra sooo much and she likes me too and she is Jeremy's only cousin. Lately my sister has been really depressed and acting a bit weird. A while ago my mom went to visit and got there just in time to find my sister trying to kill herself and kendra!!!!!! she is in a mental hospital now and they are trying to find out what she has other than depression. My niece is now in a foster family because her dads family has nothing to do with her we don't even no where her dad is and my dad won't let my mom take her. If nobody in the family takes her she will be adopted into another family and I reallllly don't wan't that to happen! I can't even imagine her not being a part of my family anymore I wish I could take her myself but I am only 13 and VERY lucky I even get to keep my own baby. I don't know what to do I wan't to help her and keep her around

Last edited by snoogums; November 11th 2011 at 09:03 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My 2 year old niece going to a foster family!!! - November 18th 2011, 10:03 PM

I can only imagine how painful this must be for you. =( Unfortunately, if your father isn't willing to take on the responsibility of another child, and there aren't any other suitable relatives at the moment, then foster care will have to be the temporary solution. Keep in mind that the courts generally don't want children to stay in foster care for the rest of their lives - they want the biological mother to take back custody ASAP. So for now, I would do two things:

1. Focus on getting your sister the help she desperately needs.
2. Keep in touch with CPS (or whatever the agency is called in your area) and see if it would be possible to set up visitation dates with Kendra.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: My 2 year old niece going to a foster family!!! - November 19th 2011, 08:16 PM

Hey there,
I'm so sorry that this is happening to your family. I understand that you love Kendra, but for the time being, this is what's best for her. Is there a way that you could keep in touch with her foster family? Maybe you could visit her every once in a while. Either way, this is what's best for Kendra right now. It's safer for her. Just focus on getting your sister the help she needs. Hopefully, she gets better and she can be reunited with her daughter. Feel free to PM/VM me anytime. Take care of yourself.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
snoogums Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: My 2 year old niece going to a foster family!!! - November 20th 2011, 01:54 AM

Okay I guess I should update people on this. My sister has been diagnosed as bi polar and depressed. She is staying at the mental hospital for a while at least and will not be able to take care of Kendra. I was really upset about everything and I told me uncle Jake about it he is my real dads brother. My uncle lives in a big house with lots of rooms all by himself and he offered to see if he could take Kendra. I was so happy I told my mother and she told my dad witch was a mistake because now my dad is pretty mad and he wants to take Kendra because he doesn't wan't uncle Jake to have her. My mom and dad got in a fight last night about it and now my mom has left my dad (about friggin time) and she is staying at my place until she can find her own place to rent. My mom and dad are fighting over who will take Kendra so for now not sure what will happen but it seems like she will still be a part of my family one way or another. I really hope my sister can get better and take her again poor Kendra probably really misses her .

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: My 2 year old niece going to a foster family!!! - November 20th 2011, 02:13 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister.
On the other hand, it's great to hear that Kendra will still be a part of your family. I hope the issues surrounding that are resolved soon.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
snoogums Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: My 2 year old niece going to a foster family!!! - November 20th 2011, 02:35 AM

I hope so too and thanks

Closed Thread