TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Question for guys/men - November 15th 2011, 04:32 AM

I hope this is the right section of the forums- it's a question about friendship, so, I couldn't think of a better place to put it. But it's quite a general question.

Do teenage boys and men prefer female friends who are attractive/pretty/beautiful, or do looks only matter with girlfriends?

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Question for guys/men - November 15th 2011, 07:07 AM

I can't say it doesn't, most teenagers will prefer a 'good looking' girl over the other in regards to any kind of relationship. You're question, like you said, is very general though and I'd also like to add that there's also many other factors that might come into play as well such as same tastes, and how often you guys see each other.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#3 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: Question for guys/men - November 16th 2011, 06:12 PM

Thanks for your response!

Anyone else have thoughts on this? If an ugly girl (why not be blunt) wants to befriend a good-looking (but not outrageously beautiful) boy... is that a hopeless situation? Even if their temperaments and tastes are similar? Or is it just an unlikely situation? Is it acceptable for the girl to initiate conversations, or should she let the boy be unless he shows obvious interest?

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Question for guys/men - November 16th 2011, 08:27 PM

Honestly whatever you feel is right. Humans are designed with auto-pilot. Don't overthink it and just do what needs to be done. If you feel like you want to say something, do it. If you feel like you don't, then don't.

Also, ugly/pretty/appearance is completely subjective. Some people like red hair, others hate it. There really isn't a guidebook on this, it's just opinion. Basically someone may feel they are ugly when to someone else they are not.

Anyhow, in any potential relationship (romantic, friendly, etc.) I seek like-minded individuals, not people who are attractive. Romantically I don't think I could be involved in a 80-year-old one-eyed bearded woman, but within "normal" standards I don't care.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Question for guys/men - November 17th 2011, 05:54 AM

Its not out of the question, especially since you're looking for a friendship. That is a thousand times easier to achieve. You shouldn't be afraid of how to befriend someone; simply be friendly and 'chill' with him. I know it can seem hard to just start hanging out with him so maybe if I were you I'd look for possible connections... such as: do you guys have any mutual friends? Can he tutor you in anything? etc. The only thing I'd suggest is to be careful how far you take it since some guys might think you're flirting with them, but otherwise just act as if you were with your girlfriends and if he's open to others you should be okay!

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Question for guys/men - November 17th 2011, 05:45 PM

For me, girlfriends have to be pretty good-looking, otherwise there's almost no chance I'm going to bother with them, mostly because my girlfriend relationships tend to be brief and sexually-based. On the other hand, female friends need not be good-looking but there has to be a reason why I befriend them. Usually they have some use to me more than simply common interests, as I can go anywhere and find a female with similar interests. If they have no value to me, then I'll befriend them if they have a personality that I like.

That said, even though I'm not focused on female friends who are very good-looking, if she makes a blue oyster look pretty and smells worse than dog shit, then she better be very useful to me in order for me to bother with her. By uses, I mean help me with academic marks, obtain money or items in a certain way, or be a stepping-stone to getting someone else. Other guys may not take someone's usefulness into consideration when befriending them so my answer may not be that representative.

One of the most important things in every conversation is body language and facial expressions, not just of his but of yours. If you want him to think a certain thing, you'd have verbally express that as well as behave accordingly. Likewise, when he says something, watch how he behaves as well as how he reacts when you say/do something. Unless you have good control over them (from my experience many people don't), it becomes a source of information that can reveal many interesting things in relation to what he says. It's ideal if a third person can watch him react while you talk but you can still do it by yourself.

For initiating the conversation, usually it doesn't matter all that much unless the guy wants to feel superior and may have a stick up his ass. The only thing to be aware of is if you initiate the conversation and it quickly becomes intimate, then the guy may spread a rumour around that you're very easy to get because they'd view it as strong flirting. Unless it's going to immediately be a sexual or physical relationship, make some connections, such as tutoring, playing the same video game (which is pretty uncommon), liking the same cartoons, having the same sense of dark humour, liking/disliking the same courses, going to the gym together, etc... .

Trying to enter the guy's social circle isn't always going to be easy so don't try that right away, instead focus on him. His friends may get jealous or not like you so you'll have to compete with them. For me, that would be one point when the mind games begin.

I may be the odd one out by saying this, I would find it fun to have a girlfriend who was able to manipulate people much better than I can and I rarely have been duped by someone. It may be viewed as unhealthy but to me it would be exciting, especially if she was good-looking and interested in a sexual relationship.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Last edited by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!; November 17th 2011 at 05:51 PM.

Closed Thread