TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rotwfighter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Bipolar Mother - November 23rd 2011, 05:29 PM

Hi, my mother is really driving me nuts because of her obsession with out neighbor. You see, it all started in 2007 when we moved into our neighborhood we tried to maintain friendly relations with out next door neighbors, but we had our differences and after a few months we broke off relations with them. They were from a bad volatile neighborhood before so that's why (i think) my mom didnt approve of them, so after a year or so my mom was engulfed by mass paranoia and thats when things took a turn for the worse. She thought that everyone in our neighborhood had turned against us and "supported" our next door neighbors. To make matters worse she had big heated arguments with the next doors and then we became famous as the crazy people in our street. Then she started making whack theories like the neighbor guy "jumps" into out house at night and when I asked her where she saw him she made excuses and avoided my questions. I would stay up till 3 Am every night looking for this "intruder" but no one was there and I would have to wake up at 6 am so I would be dull all day. So I try politely persuading her that nothing is going on then she said that me and my brother (who also tried convincing her) are weak and ignorant and we don't know anything. So she told this gig to everyone around and in a conservative society like mine, we became kinda like outcasts. So then she would go into the kitchen which is right next to our next door neighbor's kitchen and start yelling at them etc. and then fights would start. While I myself dislike them, I know for sure that they don't "jump" into our house and only one person knows about it. So here I am 4 years later and almost crazy, my mom has bipolar mood swings just about all the time and goes from completely normal to "THE NEIGHBORS ARE DOING THIS AND THAT ETC." with senseless theories.
My dad is abroad so me and my brother handle things but this is out of our control, she goes into the kitchen and yells and starts making a ruckus parade in there just to annoy the neighbors and she does it from early in the mornin to late at night so I cant sleep in the morning or night. I dont know what to do, me and my dad had a thorough discussion and he said that these
"incidents" had always been going on in her life and she's mentally depressed, I don't know what to do, she'll never agree to a check up and doesnt want medicine but I can telll by the way her mood swings that something is wrong, so can anyone please help?
Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ChelleBelle97 Offline
Cookie Monster(:<3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michelle-Leigh(:
Location: Under Your Bed With Your Cookies From Your Cookie Jar. D:

Re: Bipolar Mother - November 23rd 2011, 07:26 PM

Well, depending on her age... she could be going through menopause. Which can cause severe mood swings, paranoia, and breakdowns. I know my mom went through menopause as soon as I got my period and she's still going through it. Sometimes, it takes several years to get through menopause. Research menopause or her symptoms and then see what you can do. I'm sorry if I couldn't be of much help. :/ That's just really what it sounds like cause my mom is fairly similar..

--October 16th, 2011: The day I got a second chance, the day I decided my life is worth living... <3

Smile! You ARE Beautiful!!!
---OperationBeautiful.com

(#3 (permalink)) Old
leavemealone Offline
I Still Miss You <3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raewyn

Re: Bipolar Mother - November 23rd 2011, 08:24 PM

I would talk to your dad about getting her help. This isn't going to get better unless she gets help soon. Things would be better that way. ^^ I don't think this is menopause, because your dad said that she's been having these "episodes" for a very long time. Of course, it does depend on her age, then it possibly COULD be menopause, but only if shes 50 or older. But if shes making assumptions and picking fights with your neighbors either she has some very bad anger issues or she has a mental illness. Try and convince her to go to the doctor. She may not need medicine. Therapy could also be a solution. I hope things get better for you! Stay strong!

Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Bipolar Mother - November 23rd 2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavemealone View Post
I don't think this is menopause, because your dad said that she's been having these "episodes" for a very long time. Of course, it does depend on her age, then it possibly COULD be menopause, but only if shes 50 or older.
Actually, menopause can happen as early as a woman's 30's or 40's, depending on various things (weight, health, genetics, etc.)

But nonetheless, it doesn't sound like Bipolar Disorder to me. However, the paranoia could be menopausal, or a mental illness. Multiple mental health issues can cause paranoia, so assuming it's a particular one based on that symptom is a bit presumptuous.

Since this is obviously concerning you, though (and it seems to be disrupting your lives), I suggest talking to a trusted adult (dad, grandparents, aunts/uncles, whoever else) about it. I'm sure if you talk to somebody "mature" (for lack of a better way to put it), you'll have better luck getting the help you're seeking.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
rotwfighter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bipolar Mother - November 24th 2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel11 View Post
Well, depending on her age... she could be going through menopause. Which can cause severe mood swings, paranoia, and breakdowns. I know my mom went through menopause as soon as I got my period and she's still going through it. Sometimes, it takes several years to get through menopause. Research menopause or her symptoms and then see what you can do. I'm sorry if I couldn't be of much help. :/ That's just really what it sounds like cause my mom is fairly similar..
well i don't think its that, it's kinda been there for some time and she's about 51 so i dunno

(#6 (permalink)) Old
rotwfighter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bipolar Mother - November 24th 2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

Actually, menopause can happen as early as a woman's 30's or 40's, depending on various things (weight, health, genetics, etc.)

But nonetheless, it doesn't sound like Bipolar Disorder to me. However, the paranoia could be menopausal, or a mental illness. Multiple mental health issues can cause paranoia, so assuming it's a particular one based on that symptom is a bit presumptuous.

Since this is obviously concerning you, though (and it seems to be disrupting your lives), I suggest talking to a trusted adult (dad, grandparents, aunts/uncles, whoever else) about it. I'm sure if you talk to somebody "mature" (for lack of a better way to put it), you'll have better luck getting the help you're seeking.
Yeah, i already tried with my dad and we tried to get therapy for her but she just won't agree and my grandparents died a few years ago

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Bipolar Mother - November 24th 2011, 03:08 PM

Unless she's going to hurt herself or someone else or someone is going to call the police on her, you can't force her to get help or see someone unfourtunately.

However I thought I'd just throw in there that it doesn't sound like bipolar at all and I'm not quite sure where you got that from.
Maybe you could ask someone else on her side of the family (aunt or uncles?) if any mental illness runs in the family? Maybe next time she's making a scene to disturb the neighbours you could call the police? Someone's done that to me before...
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
rotwfighter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bipolar Mother - November 25th 2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricky Ricky View Post
Unless she's going to hurt herself or someone else or someone is going to call the police on her, you can't force her to get help or see someone unfourtunately.

However I thought I'd just throw in there that it doesn't sound like bipolar at all and I'm not quite sure where you got that from.
Maybe you could ask someone else on her side of the family (aunt or uncles?) if any mental illness runs in the family? Maybe next time she's making a scene to disturb the neighbours you could call the police? Someone's done that to me before...
Well the police have already been called once and no compromise was reached, my dad told me that extreme anger and mental depression run in my mom's side of the family so i think that has to do with it but what does that imply that i do?

Closed Thread