TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Inside your mind!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashley
Location: This house upon the lake, five levels below the surface of the earth...

Unhappy Apparently my feelings don't matter... - November 25th 2011, 11:23 PM

Whenever there's an argument in our house (so, every other week), people's feelings get hurt. It's a given. Usually, as soon as my parents are done yelling at me, I run upstairs to my room and start to cry. I cry really easily, and most times I start crying before I get off the couch. My mom also gets upset really easily, and she ends up crying as well.

The problem is, when I'm upset, it doesn't matter. My parents just get angrier and tell me to go to my room. When my mom's upset, on the other hand, it becomes a HUGE deal. My dad starts screaming that I "hurt her feelings" and that I need to apologize that instant. Of course, no one ever cares if I'm upset. It seems like it's all about my mom, that everything revolves around her. I've tried talking to them about it, but they just say it's my fault that everyone's upset and that (surprise!) I need to apologize immediately.

What's the deal? Who's right? How can it be fixed?

"Hearing is believing, music is decieving
Hard as lightning, soft as candlelight
Dare you trust the music of the night?
Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth
And the truth isn't what you want to see
In the dark it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be."

-Music of the Night as sung by Michael Crawford ♥

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Apparently my feelings don't matter... - November 26th 2011, 04:05 AM

Hey there,

First of all, welcome to TH!

No one is truly right or wrong. When you talked to your parents, were you calm about it, or were you accusatory? Sometimes, tone can be the deciding factor in how people respond to you. Try talking to them calmly about the way you feel. Don't point fingers at their errors, since that will just make them defensive. Instead, try to talk things out rationally. You'd be surprised at the difference it makes.

If the conversation doesn't work out, try talking to a friend, a teacher, or another trusted individual that does care about what you have to say. There are people out there that do care and want you to be happy. Finding those people and building a strong support system with them can be one of the most beneficial things for a person. Even having a strong support system on TH would be helpful.

I hope I've helped in some way. Feel free to VM/PM me if you ever need someone to listen to what you have to say. Stay strong!

Take care,
Sammi.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Apparently my feelings don't matter... - November 28th 2011, 08:08 AM

Fights happen, and unfortuantly in a home with teenagers, they happen alot more!

I dont think anyone is right or wrong. I think that whoever is involved should say sorry, however we both know that never works out like that.

There isnt much to do to be fixed. I would maybe learn how to communicate in a mature matter. Dont get an additude, do what she says and I think alot will change. I also reccommend doing something to get you out of the house more often! Sports, hang out with friends, something!

Goodluck!

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Apparently my feelings don't matter... - November 28th 2011, 03:39 PM

First of all, realize this: Parents are sometimes wrong. However based on the simple principle that people are asses they take this authority and likely abuse it. When losing an arguement instead of rationally admiting defeat, it's easier to just send you away.

When your mother cries because she's obviously not getting her way, instead of working this out, they send you away.

People hate to lose, parents have the power to avoid losing.

The thing is, it becomes important to learn which battles to fight. Sometimes arguing is productive and will result in a drastic change. However arguing over navy/blue-gray simply wastes time and effort, and wooon't help you at all.

What you need to do is learn which battles are worth fighting, and which should just be avoided. No one will always get their way, and even if something seems stupid you have to decidie if you truly hate this, or if it's just unpleasant. Why? Because you can never completely get your way, and you have to comprimise. By doings so you have to avoid conflict unless absolutely neccessary.

My parents are sore losers, but the best way to "Win" with them is to 1. avoid conflict, aqnd 2. avoid baiting. If they're mad at you, they will try to bait a conflict just to have an excuse to yell at you/send you to your room. They might bring up topics that stir emotion, or otherwise try to provoke arguement. This is rare, but make sure you realize when it's happening and simply ignore it. Avoiding conflict was outlined above.

Sadly you are a teen, and unless they are hitting you or behaving in a manner that is somehow harming you there is nothing you can do. The easiest course is try simply avoid fighting to avoid losing.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

Closed Thread