TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
You're scrumdiddlyumptious!
Average Joe

Name: Sydney

Im so shy :/ - December 5th 2011, 02:03 AM

I've always been an introvert, only act myself around those who know me well and don't necessarily care to meet new people as bad as that sound its true. I've always been ok with ok with being shy, its just who I am. But now I'm 17, I have college next fall and I'm worried I wont break out of my shy little shell. How do I break out of my shell? I've always been this way :/ *not sure if this is the right category you are welcome to move*

Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realize they were the big things.
  Send a message via Yahoo to ThornedRose  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Im so shy :/ - December 5th 2011, 02:43 AM

I have some ideas, however I'm sure others can comment in and give you more advice. I think you should join a group as soon as you get to college, so something you love. Maybe an activity or an sport. Once you do that then you will build lots of friendships. Also, I'm sure your roommate will help out too. Build a great relationship with her, then you will be set. Its really just being able to say Hi. Everytime you say a simple Hi to someone, thats starting convo, and thats getting them to notice you. Then everytime you see them, give them something new. Hi, Hey, how are you, Whats up, Hows everything going here, etc etc.

Eventually you will meet people, and they will become friends.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Isaiah 40:30-31
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Chandler

Re: Im so shy :/ - December 5th 2011, 02:47 AM

Just put yourself out there.

I have always been an introvert, still am. By speaking up in class, I was able to become more and more comfortable talking to those around me.

Join a student organization, do greek life if that suits you. I joined my school's "BCM." On my first night there I just showed up alone and was so nervous, everyone there was very nice and made sure to introduce themselves to me and get to know me. I've got several friends within the group now and feel very comfortable being myself around them. That is not something I have ever had. I definitely suggest joining a group that suits you.

We were made to be courageous.

Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think itís more than you can take
But you're stronger, stronger than you know
Donít you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Zany Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Aubrey

Re: Im so shy :/ - December 5th 2011, 02:53 AM

I have always been shy too. I still am. It makes a lot of things in life difficult I also worry about when I go to college if I will be able to meet new people I already have hardly any friends. Since I have the same problem I am probably not the best person to give you advice but I guess as long as you be yourself the best you can then people will become friends with you eventually.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
justmeg Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Meg

Re: Im so shy :/ - December 5th 2011, 08:20 PM

i was the same way when i went off to college - i wasn't worried about classes or anything like that, i was worried i wouldn't make friends. i don't know about your school, but mine divided the freshman class up into groups headed by a peer mentor to answer our questions about college life and the transition from high school. i made a few friends through that group and also through my roommate (she had a different peer mentor group, so i got to know people from that group as well). i was surprised how quickly i made friends. orientation is really helpful in introducing you to your fellow classmates. some of the ice breakers may seem corny, but be open to them - i met a lot of people through them and i'm sure you will too!

like everyone else said, clubs are a great way to meet new people who share the same interests as you. it might be hard to speak up in class in front of people you don't know, but that's another good way to put yourself out there. aside from the few instances of bad roommates, it's good to try to make friends with the person you'll be living with

good luck with everything!
  Send a message via AIM to justmeg  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
WhitJo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Whitlee Jo

Re: Im so shy :/ - December 7th 2011, 09:55 PM

I am in the exact same situation! I think the key is when you get to college find something that really interests you and then you will also find others that are interested in that same thing and friendships kind of just happen without notice. I'm a little afraid about how I’m going to handle it next year as well, especially since I'm home schooled. Also, I've learned that being introverted makes me become drained when I'm in a social setting too long. Don't try to change that part of you. It gets real stressful. There will be plenty of people that will be able to break that shell for you and get to know you better.

Closed Thread