TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brillyx Offline
Not a n00b

Exclamation In-Between - December 9th 2011, 11:26 PM

So I am really having trouble trying to figure out where I stand with my personality. The big problem I have is that I see my good friend everyday at school being socially incredible. Everyone loves talking to him, everyone starts conversations with HIM, not the other way around, and he is friends with tons of upperclassmen.

Now I have my own reputation (good not bad) but I feel like I want to be at the top like my friend. I have been starting to mimic his personality, but I have also recently started reading 'How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for big success in relationships" and while the book seems promising, I am wondering who I really am inside.

Everyone in my family always tells me that I was always a queit mouse, rarely offering my two-cents in the conversation. But I've come a long way from there since I started highschool last year. Now I want to take it even farther and be a social bug like my friend.

But is it possible for me to really inherit the status that he has without completely changing my personality? As much as I want to be as popular as he is, I know that if I copy him it won't do me any good.

I am sort of stuck between being myself and getting into habits of doing what he does... I just feel so awkward socially. I am sure the book is going to help me after I finish reading it, but I seriously have no idea what to say sometimes when I really wish I could say something witty and agreeable like my friend does.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
dreaming of a glass castle...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: In-Between - December 10th 2011, 12:33 AM

i know exactly what you mean! i feel like everyone is so witty and funny and i just sit there half-smiling, not really knowing how to respond. what i do is i make a joke out of how clueless i am, and people seem to find that funny too.
but don't change your personality please, i'm sure it's wonderful it takes all different types of people to make the world go round. life wouldn't be entertaining if we were all the same. plus, i'm sure you're a much better listener and you seem to be extremely observant. i know these may not seem so great now, but trust me, this is your personality for a reason--these traits will help you to succeed in whatever career you want to pursue. for example, as a slightly quieter, more observant person, you would be incredible as a writer, a detective, a scientist, a doctor even--anything where the power of observation means more than sociality.
i'm just afraid if you start trying to change too much, you'll become insecure or desperate and you'll turn into someone you really don't like instead.
but, if you want to try to be more confident and comfortable socially, just be more you--you don't have to be funny, you don't have to be clever, you just have to have confidence in yourself and be comfortable with who you are. trust me, when it comes down to it, those are the types of people we all want to be around anyway. and, with confidence, you might find yourself naturally being more witty than you originally thought you could be

"Those 3 words are said too much, but not enough" <3
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender."

PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to or just want to chat (:
http://liveforthememories.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: In-Between - December 10th 2011, 03:33 AM

I think you need to be yourself no matter what - don't change yourself to be more popular.

If being yourself means that you aren't going to be in the top, then so be it. Because in alot of cases personality is something that isn't easily changeable. and If you were to mimic him and others, once you got to the top the other people would most likely realize you act the same as him or others.

Be yourself - If you want to be more socially active then great! But don't try mimic him and try to be like him. We are all ourselves, and all have different looks, shapes, personality, and character - develop your own.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Brillyx Offline
Not a n00b

Re: In-Between - December 10th 2011, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback. And I understand what both of you are saying. It is not worth it to try and be someone I am not, because in all honesty I feel weird when I do, and then it just comes out as being awkward. I think if I be myself while becoming more social, it will work out better than trying to imitate my friend's actions and trying to act the way he does.

Like Kurt Cobain said: "I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than be liked for someone I'm not"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: In-Between - December 10th 2011, 05:04 PM

exactly, that's a really good quote

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Brillyx Offline
Not a n00b

Re: In-Between - December 11th 2011, 03:44 AM

Well I have another question- Sometimes I am very nervous or afraid when I'm around my one friend who often likes to make fun of other people. And it's just who he is, his personality. He doesn't realise he may or may not be hurting others when he does it, he just does. So anyways all my friends that are friends with him know he is just joking around but how do you think I could get around my minor fear of him?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: In-Between - December 11th 2011, 04:33 PM

what exactly are you afraid? that he will make fun of you and you won't know how to react or that he will accidentally hurt someone? or both or something else entirely?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Brillyx Offline
Not a n00b

Re: In-Between - December 11th 2011, 05:36 PM

That he will make fun of me in front of others, and I wont know how to react.

Just some background here: I was never good at not taking things personally. If someone would make a joke about me, I would take it to heart, and eventually flip out on the other person. I've gotten better at it over the years, but I still struggle with it from time to time.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: In-Between - December 11th 2011, 07:18 PM

i know exactly how that feels, there was a kid in my class who used to always make fun of everyone, as a joke, but i was always terrified that he would make fun of me, so i was always on edge in that class. and then once he did make fun of me and i had no idea how to respond and i just sat there embarrassed, half-laughing, just wanting to hide. it was so embarrassing.
but i've gotten past that, thankfully, and even though i'm still not witty, i can make light of the situation. like, when i walk into one class, this kid and i go back and forth pretending like we don't like each other even though we actually get along really well, and so he'll say something like, "ew. what are you doing here? just leave" and i'll say something like, "oh, wrong class i guess" or "ok, i'll just leave now," and turn around and walk away a step, going along with it. and then other days i'll make fun of him, saying, "what are you doing? just no." and we'll just start laughing because it's really funny.
(i'm sorry, this is a terrible explanation, but basically, if you go along with the joke, it works just as well as being witty, and everyone will laugh, and you won't take the joke so personally anymore because you'll laugh too and feel that it's just a joke. it'll take multiple encounters like this to really get over the fear and uncomfortableness of jokes like that, but after a while, they won't even faze you anymore and you'll be more comfortable and confident around people, which will help with you becoming more social too i hope this helps, i'm sorry i'm so bad at explaining myself!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: In-Between - December 11th 2011, 09:38 PM

It's important to be yourself, no matter what. Changing yourself to be popular isn't worth it. The truth of the matter is, popularity doesn't matter in the long run. What does matter is that you are a genuine person with a shining personality. While the book is sure to have some great tips to help you feel more comfortable breaking the ice, focus on being the best you that you can be. If you do that, then the right friends will come around in no time. Wouldn't you rather be popular for showing the wonderful person that you are, than for trying to fit the stereotype? Just something to think about.

In regards to your second question, don't be afraid. You know what your friend is doing is wrong. Try to think about it from the perspective of the people that he is making fun of. I'm sure it hurts them. Are you really okay with letting that happen? Maybe you could confront your friend about this, and let him know that making fun of people doesn't make them any cooler. I hate to say this, but if he makes fun of you for it, maybe he wasn't a real friend to begin with.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#11 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: In-Between - December 11th 2011, 10:54 PM

^^true. you should definitely talk to your friend and tell him that you're uncomfortable with the way that he makes fun of you, and others if that bothers you as well. i'm sure he'll be understanding, if he is a real friend. i found this quote by dr. seuss that might help:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter and those who matter, don't mind."

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Brillyx Offline
Not a n00b

Re: In-Between - December 12th 2011, 08:11 PM

Thank you for the good advice, today I actually went along with the joke and believe it or not it worked. Humans are funny creatures aren't they?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: In-Between - December 12th 2011, 08:26 PM

you're welcome, and yay im glad! hahah yes we are.

Closed Thread