Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Newo Ikkin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!
Newo Ikkin's Avatar
Age: 25

Posts: 1
Join Date: December 12th 2011

Question Leaving Home Underage: Australian Legal Advice - December 12th 2011, 08:09 AM

So i'm 17 and i live with my mum. We don't have much of a relationship. She is unemployed and a full-time uni student. I work in a fast food restaurant. She often needs money from me, but she won't allow me to work more than 2 days a week, i have to borrow money from my boyfriend whom she won't allow me to see.
I can't be myself at home, she hates the australian culture, society, she doesn't understand it, it's very difficult living at home. I'm struggling at school. I'm having severe panic attacks every few months, i feel living with her is making me miserable and stressed and constantly cautious about everything i do.

I no longer want to be under her custody, i want to live with my friend and her father. I honestly don't think i can finish my HSC living with her. But she refuses to consent me to leave, she refuses to kick me out.

If i just leave (or "run away"), but make sure i'm in a safe place, stable income, my high school and the police are informed, is there anything she can do?
If she calls the police what can they do?
If she can't afford a lawyer can she still take it to court?
Can my friends father get in trouble?
Is this illegal?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
katpanda Offline
Average Joe
katpanda's Avatar
Name: Kat
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Posts: 134
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: December 5th 2011

Re: Leaving Home Underage: Australian Legal Advice - December 12th 2011, 12:10 PM

You live in Australia correct?
The police can not force you to go back home if you are over 16. At the age of 16, you are legally allowed to make the decision to move out of home.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
Junior TeenHelper
Greenie's Avatar
Name: Amy
Gender: XX chromosome
Location: Australia

Posts: 208
Blog Entries: 47
Join Date: October 30th 2011

Re: Leaving Home Underage: Australian Legal Advice - December 20th 2011, 10:01 AM

I'm in Australia too. And am in a very similar situation. Except I don't have a job :/ The police can't force you back home, but trust me, your mum is likely to be contacting you in some way and driving you crazy. Unless she's hurting you badly, your mum still can see you and contact you. And force you to return home herself. Like mine did. If you can, try getting you and your mum to talk to a family counsellor or something, coz moving out of home before you're 18 will be difficult. If nothing gets through to her, then I wish you best of luck leaving home <3 I'm here to talk to if you want.

Be like the turtle;
at ease in your own shell.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while
Marguerite's Avatar
Name: Marguerite
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,064
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: June 1st 2010

Re: Leaving Home Underage: Australian Legal Advice - December 20th 2011, 12:35 PM

As the first person said, it is legal. You can move out and live wherever you want now you are over 16. The police, your mother, social services or any other organisation cannot do anything to the affect of forcing you to live somewhere not of your choosing.

Are you on Centrelink youth allowence? If so your payment will be bumped from $200 to $350 per fortnight if you are living away from home, which is a plus.

Originally Posted by exoticturtle View Post
Unless she's hurting you badly, your mum still can see you and contact you. And force you to return home herself. Like mine did.
I don't mean to be blunt but this is not true. I'm not suggesting OP cut off all relations with her mother but it would be well within her rights to do so if she so chooses. Her mother also cannot force her to come home. She has no say in the matter really.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
Closed Thread


advice, australian, home, leaving, legal, underage

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All material copyright ©1998-2020, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints | Mobile

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.