TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Disappearing Offline
Senior TeenHelper

This isn't going to end well. - December 22nd 2011, 05:38 AM

My best friend is asking for advice about a guy. If I give her the advice she wants to hear, then it would hurt me, but if I give her the advice I want to give her, it will hurt her. I don't know what to do here.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DemonQueen Offline
amber_teh_shark since 2004
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: This isn't going to end well. - December 22nd 2011, 05:51 PM

If you were in this situation would you want someone to tell you what you wanted to hear? Or would you rather them tell you how they feel? Personally, I would want them to tell me how they felt. It would rather hear the truth and be upset rather than hear a lie and get hurt.

And usually when people ask for advice they already know the answer. They just need others to help them along the way. So tell her the advice you want to give her. She'll be thankful for it later even if she might get upset now.

I've been through hell and back and came out stronger than ever.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Disappearing Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: This isn't going to end well. - December 22nd 2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
If you were in this situation would you want someone to tell you what you wanted to hear? Or would you rather them tell you how they feel? Personally, I would want them to tell me how they felt. It would rather hear the truth and be upset rather than hear a lie and get hurt.

And usually when people ask for advice they already know the answer. They just need others to help them along the way. So tell her the advice you want to give her. She'll be thankful for it later even if she might get upset now.
Thanks. That makes sense. I tried to tell her the truth, but she didn't really want it. She accepted what I had to say, but she's still thinking about what she wanted to know before.. It's hard to be here for her when I don't have a clue what she's doing.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: This isn't going to end well. - December 22nd 2011, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear about this - but you did do the right thing by telling her even though it may hurt her.

All you can do as a friend, is tell her that you are there if she needs you, and then stand by her side through it. Sometimes we have no clue what are friends are thinking or doing, but if we do care about them, we stick with them through the fog and we come out together.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

Closed Thread