TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Telling mom about it... - December 30th 2011, 08:47 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I managed to go 2 weeks without cutting. For the past 1 week, I was having terrible cutting urges. And last night I gave in to them. It started with mom telling me that she'll take away my laptop and mobile tonight as I had been spending a lot of time on them. They are the distractions I use when I feel like cutting. And its holidays now and nights are the worst time for me. I gave in half an hour after that and cut again. I was terrified about what I'd do at night without these. So I thought maybe now is the time to tell her.
Here's what I'd thought of writing to her-
Mom, I can't do this anymore on my own. I know I need professional help. I've known it for years now. I know you tried your best to protect me from getting to this stage, but how long were you expecting me to keep it all to myself and still be fine? How long did you expect me to hide everything from the world? See how good I hid it, everyone thinks my smiles are real, my happiness is real, even I had started believing that they are real in between. But I realized that they are not. It is just what was taught to me from the start. "Don't tell anyone about what is going on at home". I didn't. And I have mastered it now. Even if someone asks me about it, I can't tell it now. I am too used to keeping everything to me. I can't even tell you anything. Don't take away the laptop tonight please, I won't me able to stop my cutting urges without it. I am not threatning you to stop you from taking it. I am just telling you that these are my distractions to keep me from abusing my body. You always tell me that you can tell if I am doing something wrong, yes you can tell something is wrong write now, but internet is not it mom!! Its a distraction to keep me from doing wrong!!!!! I am sorry mom."

This sounds so terribly selfish! SO SELFISH! I can't tell her this. If I have found it difficult to keep everything buried inside me, then it has been a thousand times more difficult. She has had to bear that man more than me. She is the one who has slept with the fear of not waking up the next day, not me. She is the one who has given away her life to give one to her children and had them not value it at times. Now I can't tell her this after that.
The last thing I did before falling asleep was cry. And the first thing I did this morning was cry again. Now my tears won't stop. I have been crying continuously for hours now!
Ever since I cut last night, I have been snapping at everything. She can see that but she can't see why. My laptop was taken this morning. I am using my brother's laptop right now. She knows I am doing something on the laptop that I don't want her to know about. I have been snapping at her all day. And I can't take it anymore. I just want to cut. Cutting is my way of telling the world, asking them, if they still think I am happy! If they still think that that smile is real! It is my way of doing something about my helplessness!
The only way I can get through this is by telling her. Ant I won't be able to see her cry if I tell her. It will kill me. And I can't type anymore.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy

Re: Telling mom about it... - December 30th 2011, 11:35 AM

I'm pretty sure you can see it, and that your really only option left us to tell her. Yeah, there are other ways to write that to your mother but I think the best thing is now to print off that note and give it to her. What you wrote isn't selfish, it is exactly how you're feeling now and I think that's what's best for your mom to see. As you said, hiding what you really want to say would be bottling up emotions and that will do more harm than good. I admire you for your bravery to be able to give that to your mum. I really hope she is understanding and may give you help <3

Be like the turtle;
at ease in your own shell.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Telling mom about it... - December 31st 2011, 01:39 AM

I agree - the only option you have is to communicate with her. I like the letter - but at the end I would again say that I need help - because you do. You cant change your life to make it wrap around you phone and computer - you need help from a consoler so that you can improve not only for the present time but for the future. You need to do what is best for you and that is telling your mom that you need help with this - and for a temporary solution you need your lab top until you schedule appointments with a professional and get help.

Communication is #1 - and this letter will be the Start of you getting help and living a happier and healthier life.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Telling mom about it... - December 31st 2011, 08:56 AM

But you are missing the point here. It sounds so friggin selfish!! I can't put her through this!

Last edited by Solivagant; December 31st 2011 at 09:01 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy

Re: Telling mom about it... - January 2nd 2012, 06:48 AM

I do totally get what you mean... I would really hate to tell my mum something like that as well. But it's the best option - communicating this to her is less selfish than not communicating at all... which leaves absolutely no room for the situation to improve. Though your mom may be hurt by what you say in the letter, it should lead to you both understanding each other better and more able to communicate your feelings to each other in the long term, as well as professional support for yourself. Best of luck <3

Be like the turtle;
at ease in your own shell.

Closed Thread