TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy

I want to see my friend but can't.. what do I tell her? - January 2nd 2012, 08:19 AM

Well... My mum doesn't allow me to see my friend Danni out of school coz according to my mum she said something bad about her on Facebook. To start from the beginning, my mum hurts me (emotionally) a lot. So I was talking to Danni over Facebook to help me feel better. Now my mum hardly knows Danni, apart from one time when Danni didn't say hello to her or something so she never really liked her that much.

So one day silly me must have left mozilla Firefox open and my mum decides to snoop around through my private messages. She prints out my conversation with Danni and hides it in her room, Then gives me hell about it and makes me delete my Facebook as well as forbidding me from seeing Danni.

Now as much as I think this is totally unfair of her, I do kinda see her point of view. But what confuses me is that I found the printed conversation and couldn't find anything particuarly terrible that Danni said. The thing is, it's the school holidays over here which lasts until February and because we told each other that we'd catch up, I can't just keep making excuses to Danni why I can't see her. So, do I tell Danni that I'm not allowed to see her because of facebook (which may upset and make her annoyed like I would be), tell her I'm grounded for ages (which is kinda true), tell mum I'm seeing a different friend and somehow get away with it (Though I got caught last time), orrr... some other option that is totally grand and non-existent? Idk.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: I want to see my friend but can't.. what do I tell her? - January 2nd 2012, 08:50 AM

I think you need to be honest with her and tell her that your mom doesn't like her - but her opinion doesn't matter to you.

If you really want to be friends with her then I would say go right ahead. Its not like this girl is causing problems or making you do illegal things - and I agree that your mom is overreacting to this whole situation. So if you want to hangout with her, I think you should be able to.

Now, I would try to talk to your mom in a professional manner and tell her to give you a reason why she doesn't like her - a good reason. Communicate - because if you dint your mom probably will never let you see her, and then you have to sneak around which is unnecessary. I hope you and your mom can come to an agreement.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I want to see my friend but can't.. what do I tell her? - January 2nd 2012, 09:26 AM

Thanks for your reply. I will tell Danni that.. somehow. But communicating stuff to my mum is absolutely impossible. No matter how it's done or by whom. Last time I went out with Danni after school mum questioned me like crazy and I couldn't exactly lie.. so I got in HEAPS of trouble. I'm going to have to be super careful and probably lie to my mum if I want to see her, which I'm trying to avoid (but having a super hard time doing so). Argh.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: I want to see my friend but can't.. what do I tell her? - January 3rd 2012, 02:36 AM

Its hard when we have to lie to our parents - especially about stuff that really is senseless to lie about because its not that big of a deal nor should be treated like one.

I'm sorry that your mom wont listen - then you are faced with the question: Would you like to end the friendship with you and Danni or lie to your mom?

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
msfsteven Offline
Average Joe

Re: I want to see my friend but can't.. what do I tell her? - January 5th 2012, 09:17 PM

In my opinion, it isn't right for her to restrict your friend from you.
She doesn't even sound like a criminal or bad influence! She had
definitely judged her wrong. I'm sure she wouldn't want to be
judged like that. But anyways - I'm with Chris. Tell your friend
Danni what is going on, I'm more than sure she'd understand.

Your mom not liking Danni is a personal problem and shouldn't
be against the two of you being friends.

Well, Good luck (: Just try and communicate with your mom like Chris said.
And yeah, I think lying to her would kind of be fair. Your friends are your decision. (:
  Send a message via Skype™ to msfsteven 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I want to see my friend but can't.. what do I tell her? - January 12th 2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks for your response I guess whatever happens, happens.

Be like the turtle;
at ease in your own shell.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: I want to see my friend but can't.. what do I tell her? - January 13th 2012, 12:20 AM

I would see her anyway. Your mom shouldn't treat you like that. There isn't anything wrong with Danni, she isnt a ex con or getting you into hard drugs. There's nothing wrong here. Its your mom's problem if she doesn't like Danni for whatever reason. This is your life though, your friendship. She needs to let you be. I think if I were you and Danni mattered enough to me, i'd see her behind my moms back. I know some people are prob. gonna disagree with me about that but truthfully, i'd take the risk of getting caught to be with her.

Closed Thread